Monday, June 30, 2008

Let Corn Week Begin!

I had so much fun doing my last theme week, I'm doing it again.  Last time the theme was raw foods.  When deciding what to do this time around, I originally thought I'd do a week of soups and stews to celebrate the bounty of summer.  Then it got really, really hot here in Southern California and I changed my mind.  But what to do?  

I knew inspiration would strike eventually and sure enough, it came in the form of Jessy over at happyveganface.  I saw her recent post on Veggie Corn Cakes and I thought to myself ... self, there's really nothin' corn can't do.  It is, after all, one of America's favorite veggies.  Here's a little info to kick the week off right:

Corn, or maize, is the ultimate "good carb."  It's loaded with vitamins A, B, and C.  It also has some protein and provides potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron.

Corn is definitely something you want to buy as fresh as possible.  As soon as corn is picked, its sugars begin turning to starch.  So buy it locally grown as soon after harvesting as you can for the sweetest corn possible.

Cornmeal is typically yellow or white dried corn kernels, ground to varying consistencies.  Fine ground cornmeal is used in baking, medium grind in things like polenta, and coarse ground cornmeal makes a rustic polenta or grits.

Finally, a list of previous posts in which I've explored corn:
And with that, Corn Week has commenced!  I've selected what I hope will be some great recipes for this week.  I tried to make them as diverse as possible because corn is so multifaceted.  

I'll be back later today with my first recipe offering!

3 comments:

jessy said...

hooooooooooray for corn week! i'm checking out all the corn goodness right now! last night as dan and i were falling asleep he asked me what i was doing tomorrow. i said, "Marni's started corn week today and i really need to stop by the store and get a ton of corn." he was a little confused - it was pretty funny! :) but i AM stopping by the store and getting some local corn! huzzah!

Marni said...

Ha ha ha ... that rocks! I've mentioned you to my husband, too. He just shakes his head. "I can't keep track of all your online friends." :::snicker:::

Erin said...

Yay corn week!