Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Red Lentil-Cauliflower Curry with Poppy Seed-Cornmeal Roti

Last night's dinner was another successful venture into spicy food for me. I've been trying to build up my tolerance for heat, which up until a few weeks ago has been downright pathetic. I couldn't even tolerate table pepper. Yes, I'm serious.

But, since I've transformed myself into an onion-eater, I believe I can also morph into a fan of spicy foods. Hence, I've been preparing recipes with ginger, curry, onions, garlic, and pepper. I haven't worked my way up to peppers and chilies yet, but I did just start so I think I'm doing pretty good.

Last night I pulled Veganomicon off the shelf and prepared the Red Lentil-Cauliflower Curry with Poppy Seed-Cornmeal Roti:


The Cauliflower Curry was awesome! After all the prep-chopping and dicing, it was easy to make with breaks during simmer times to allow for kitchen clean-up, prepping a side-dish or salad, Wii play, or whatever you're in to. The spices - curry, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, and coriander - smelled a-fucking-mazing. Just thinking about the taste and aroma right now, I'm having a Pavlovian response. Only 20 minutes 'til lunch time! Yay! Leftovers rule.

My husband and I loved this dish. Plus ... that's right kids, there's more! ... it's marked with an "F" in the book indicating it's a low fat/reduced fat recipe.

The book recommends several accompaniments including basmati rice, steamed chard, steamed spinach, and Poppy Seed-Cornmeal Roti, which is a type of flat-bread. I decided to go with the Roti. The recipe indicates a prep/cook time of 30 minutes but even with my husband helping me, it took much longer. He cooked the roti as I rolled them out, and it still seemed like it took forever. They were tasty, and certainly a great flavor and texture accompaniment to the main dish, but neither of us thought they were good enough for the trouble. Next time, if I want to serve the Cauliflower Curry with bread, I'll just get store-bought pita or flat-bread. But as we're trying to lose some weight, I'll probably go with steamed chard instead, which I absolutely adore.

And now, cats and kittens, my leftovers beckon.

No comments: