Monday, January 14, 2008

Vegan Manifesto - Section One, Version One

After writing How to Write a Manifesto for my other blog, I got busy writing my own vegan manifesto. It was a much more intense experience than I anticipated, taking more time and requiring more introspection than I originally planned for. In fact, I'm still not done. As far as I'm concerned, all this points to what a worthy exercise it is.

Anyhow, the structure of the manifesto is complete - broken up into three sections representing my three main motivations for being vegan. I'm finally ready to share some of it, so here is the rough draft for the first section. I hope to get the rest of it posted here as soon as possible.

The Vegan Manifesto

Now that I am cognizant, I am vegan.

I am an ethical vegan…

…because the comodification of sentient beings is reprehensible.

…because any pleasure or convenience I may find by feasting on the flesh of dead animals or their bodily secretions will never justify their torture and slaughter.

…because I am a steward for each creature facing subjugation, abuse, enslavement, cruciation, and murder.

…because there is no such thing as happy meat or humane slaughter.

…because the dairy industry is even more barbarous than the meat industry.

…because more than 10 billion land animals are slaughtered for food in North America every year.

...because animals are not ours - to exploit, enslave, manipulate, vivisect, or eat.

No comments: