Sunday, January 13, 2008

Eat to Live

You're vegan, you're fat (it happens), and you're looking for a weight loss program. Knowing most diets don't accommodate vegans, require you to count calories or calculate points, involve the consumption of highly processed foods, or are just too damn expensive, what do you do?

You go with Dr. Joel Fuhrman's program: Eat To Live.

I've had this book for a couple years, having bought it when I heard it was an extremely effective program for fast, significant weight-loss. But I shelved it when I read the program - so much raw foods and no meat or dairy! Well, I wasn't vegan at the time and I certainly wasn't eating all the produce that I am now. So, I'm pulling it off the shelf this week and revisiting it.

According to the official website, Eat to Live stacks up thusly:
  1. Substantial, dramatic weight loss. Documented to achieve long-term results.
  2. Reverses heart disease dramatically, radically drops cholesterol and triglycerides, and gets rid of diabetes.
  3. Offers unlimited portions of many foods.
  4. No calorie counting. You do not have to be vegan or even vegetarian.
  5. High nutrient density for powerful prevention of cancer.
  6. Affords the opportunity to get rid of many chronic health problems.
  7. Makes you feel and look younger, as attested by many, many Eat to Livers.

While a grain or starch-based vegan diet (what I've probably been eating) looks something like this:

  1. Both result in moderate weight loss, not effective for those with significant metabolic hindrance to weight loss.
  2. Both result in moderate reversal of heart disease for most people. Both moderately drop cholesterol while typically raising triglycerides, and are not very effective at reversing diabetes.
  3. There is no calorie counting, offers unlimited portions of most foods, totally vegan.
  4. Both help to prevent cancer.

Considering my insulin resistance, I'd probably do better eating Eat to Live style.

More on this later. Hope you had a fabulous weekend.

2 comments:

Anchored Away said...

You loaned me this book, and I managed to stick with it for about a week. It was hard, though - I was hungry constantly and had the shakes. Probably getting used to not having the immediate energy of massive carbs in my diet. But it *was* effective! I dropped quite a few pounds that week. :)

Marni said...

In the book, Dr. Fuhrman says, "Delaying a meal brings about symptoms most people call "hunger." These symptoms include abdominal cramping, weakness, and feeling ill - the same as during drug withdrawal. This is not hunger. ... Real hunger is not that uncomfortable. ... In order to detoxify, you need to feel worse, not better; then after the withdrawal symptoms are completed, you will truly become well."

I wonder if that's what happened with you?

I've lost a little weight since going vegan (about 5 pounds), but considering how overweight I am, I need to adjust my eating, drink more water, and add more exercise to really get healthy. So, I'm revisiting this book. It seemed too extreme before, but now that I'm vegan it seems like common sense.