Saturday, January 12, 2008

Husband Met His Meat

We're going to my parent's home to celebrate my father's birthday tomorrow. On the menu - BBQ'd ribs, potato salad, and cole slaw. Not vegan, not vegan, and not vegan. When I told my mother ... again ... that my husband and I are vegan now, she seemed confused as to exactly what that means. I think a tutorial may be in parents' future.

"But you can eat the potato salad! It's mainly potatoes and mayonnaise."

"No, Mom ... mayo is made from chicken eggs. We don't eat anything that came from an animal."

When she told me she thought the only reason my husband had gone vegan was merely so he could eat, however, it pissed me off. Cuz you know, he couldn't possibly cook for himself. :::gasp::: Oh, the horror! Probably because I was afraid it may be a bit true. I insisted it wasn't true and she asked the inevitable.

"Well why is he vegan?"

"Mom, you're going to have ask him that," I said.

Then I started running through all the scenarios in my mind and I knew that before we show up tomorrow, I needed to give him some solid reasons to be vegan. Ones that haven't come directly from me. So, during our son's nap today, I sat down with my man and we watched Meet Your Meat together.


This is the video that pushed me over the edge into vegetarianism and working towards veganism last November. Just prior to watching the video, he told me he didn't believe it was wrong to eat animals and that he was currently vegan for "health reasons."

About 15 minutes later (it's a short but powerful video), his attitude had changed.

The part that made him physically squirm in his chair was the bull castration scene. I knew that would get to him. After that I heard peppered gasps and groans from him. When the video was over, I asked if he understood why I was so passionate about being vegan and he told me he did.

So, at least I feel like if he gets questioned tomorrow by my family as to his motivations for being vegan, he'll have something genuine to say. He now believes it is wrong to eat animals.

Progress is sweet.

He still has some distance to come, but we have yet to watch Earthlings together. I haven't seen that one yet, and I don't know how I'll do. I cried through the last half of Meet Your Meat today, which I didn't do the first time I watched it. It may have something to do with the fact that the first time I watched it was on my laptop via a three-inch display. This time was on the 50-inch TV with surround sound. Makes it all the more real that way.

Anyhow, I've made a Smlove Pie for my dad's birthday tomorrow with strict orders from my mother not to tell my father that it's vegan. Yeah ... that just may slip. After they all taste and fall in love with it, of-course. I've also made a batch of Peanut Sesame Hummus to munch on during the Charger game, this time with all the proper ingredients, and I'm putting together a Polenta Casserole tomorrow morning so hubbie and I have something to eat.

Interestingly enough, though my mother seems to be quite interested in why my husband had "gone vegan," she has yet to ask me what my motivations are. Guess she just thinks it's another one of my freaky "things."

No comments: