Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Corn Sprouts


Corn Sprouts
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
I finally tried sprouting! I've been wanting to give it a go since I read Living Cuisine by Renée Loux Underkoffler. Then I saw that this month's Bread Baking Day challenge was "Bread with Sprouts," and I knew it was time.

I started this past Sunday with the setup described in the book - a half gallon jar with some cheese cloth and a rubber band - and followed the instructions provided here on the Sprout People website. My sprouts received their final rinse last night so the whole process only took two days.


Corn Sprouts
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
It was super easy and, as you can see, a total success. I was concerned the sprouted corn might be too hard, but the sprouts are actually pleasantly chewy with a lovely nutty flavor.

As for what I'm going to make with them, you'll have to wait 'til July 1st, when I post my results (if I can wait that long). But if you've been wanting to try sprouting, go for it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Yay sprouts! :)

2 comments:

jessy said...

aw!! your sprouts are super cute! i love their little tails the most.

i actually have some seeds and beans and such at home that i bought for sprouting, but my ass has been too lazy lately. now i'm thinking i want my own tasty sprouts. perhaps i'll start some up this weekend...

thanks for the inspiration, Marni! and i can't wait to see what you do with these little guys!

BitterSweet said...

Now -that's- cool. I never imagined you would be able to sprout corn in the first place! Now I really want to try it as well.

And I can't wait to see what you make with them. :)