Saturday, June 21, 2008

Creamed Corn


Vegan Creamed Corn
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Creamed corn? Why would anyone make creamed corn? I'm glad you asked.

Homemade creamed corn, particularly if it's made with fresh corn, is so undeniably tasty! Ever so much better than that canned crap that I was forced to eat as a child. Plus, I'm not sure there's any vegan varieties available on the market, so if you want creamed corn, you've got to make it yourself.

This recipe was adapted from one in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman.

Creamed Corn
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes
  • 6 ears fresh corn (or 3 cups frozen corn kernels ... if you must)
  • 3 tablespoons vegan margarine or butter spread
  • 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (just under 2 cups)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Cayenne to taste (optional)
  • Sugar if necessary
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • Parsley leaves to garnish (optional)
  1. Shuck the corn and cut the kernals from it. Put margarine in large skillet or broad saucepan over medium heat. When it melts and begins to foam, add the corn and cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Add 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer; add good pinch of salt, some pepper, and a pinch of cayenne if you like. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the corn is tender.
  2. Taste and add a little sugar if you like. Continue to cook until the mixture is thick, another few minutes, adding a little more coconut milk if necessary. If you'd like it thicker, combine with a tablespoon of cold water and stir it into the corn the mixture will thicken almost immediately. Taste and adjust seasoning, garnish, and serve.
Variations: Add 1/2 cup sautéed onion and/or a teaspoon of minced fresh chile.

Yum! Though I skipped a step and forgot to add the cornstarch to water before I added it to the dish (that's what I get for talking on the phone while cooking), this dish came out incredible. Sweet with just right amount of zip from the cayenne pepper.

What did I do with it?

I made Corn n' Smoky Tempeh Muffins. They were awesome! I got great feedback from the neighbors I shared them with. These muffins are the first in what will hopefully be a long list of recipes I develop for my future bakery. Yay for me (and the neighbors who got free muffins) but unfortunately, that means I'm not going to share the recipe. You'll just have to be happy with a picture, for now. :)

As a side not, I am officially La Vegan Loca - emphasis on loca - for baking yesterday afternoon in over 100 degree weather. But, it was the only part of the day I could get uninterrupted time in the kitchen. If all goes well, I'll be doing it again today as I work on another recipe.

But honestly, I'm loving every brow-wiping minute of it.

7 comments:

jessy said...

yay for mucho loca baking! :) and those muffins pretty much sound like the best thing ever! i love tempeh, i love creamed corn, and i love muffins. hot damn!

i will for sure have to make your creamed corn. i was a weirdo child and looooved creamed corn from the can (my dad loved it, too - that's probably where i got it from. ahahahaha!) i really miss creamed corn though. so this is perfect!

now if only i could veganize my mother's tuna casserole (actually, i think that will be my next challenge!).....

happy weekend times, Marni! i can't wait to see what you create next!

superw00t!

Lisa said...

I've actually never seen canned creamed corn (usually called cream-style corn) that wasn't vegan. I buy it sometimes for this recipe, but it's cool to know you can make creamed corn at home too!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10124?section=

Marni said...

Jessy - LOL I guess I liked creamed corn as a child, too. Probably because it's so sweet. But it seems like there's a "stigma" attached to it, now. Tuna casserole, on the other hand, would be more difficult. I suppose you could replace the tuna with firm tofu. I'll be interested to see if you can work that one out.

Lisa - That's so strange! I guess I'll have to look again but the last time I looked for creamed corn, it all had dairy in it.

That recipe looks awesome! Thanks for the link. I may have to try that one some time soon.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Oh no, if my husband gets wind of this recipe there will be no rest until we try it!! This is exactly up his alley. We're both Southern and this version sounds pretty darn close to what we grew up with, but sans animal parts. I'm taking note; thanks!

Willa said...

Creamed corn?! Oh, I loves me some creamed corn! (This Iowa girl is CORN FED, let me tell you.) I love coconut milk, too.

I will have you know that people from Iowa make their own creamed corn from scratch, by the way. I'm gonna try your version, though, because I think you have officially disturbed me about dairy cows. (Don't go gettin' all puffed up like a peacock about that just yet, though, 'cause I'm still cogimitatin' on it. ;-)

Muffins. Mmmmm, muffins. I kind of have a problem with tempeh, mostly because I don't like things that pretend to be meat in texture so they can be substituted for it in recipes. That said, I've eaten very tasty things with tempeh in it, and from the photos of yer muffins, I'm betting I could be converted into a tempeh enthusiast.

I've noticed lately that I'm not very interested in eating meat. I think that's cool, and I'll tip my hat to you for being a positive influence in that direction. It's been an unconscious influence, or, uh, you have. You and the larger environmental picture. Hello there, climate change, overpopulation, and mass extinction!

(Have you ever read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood? If not, and you want to, be sure you're in a good place inside yourself because it's disturbing. I happen to be very fond of disturbing, however, especially if it raises my consciousness.)

But if I find myself becoming vegan, I'm going to be severely pissed off at you. And I write that with nuthin' but love.

:-)

Erin said...

Creamed corn! I love creamed corn, a lot. Even the canned kind. I'm definitely keeping this recipe to try. Oh and the muffins sound delicious too.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the recipe with Soy or Rice milk in lieu of coconut milk? My kids are severly allergice to milk, peanuts and tree nuts and every coconut milk label I have read shares equipment with nut processing equipment.
Just wondering. This new coconut craze has this nut allergic mother panicked a bit due to all of the cross contamination.
Thanks :)