Friday, May 23, 2008

Sweet Summer Corn and Squash

The raw recipe of the day is a yummy and sweet celebration of summer called Sweet Summer Corn and Squash. Another offering from Living Cuisine by Renée Loux Underkoffler.  (If you haven't yet guessed, this is the only raw foods book I own.)  I didn't even know you could eat corn raw, but alas, it was fantastic. Plus, I absolutely love dishes full of color and life. Not only does this recipe taste wonderful, it's beautiful, too.

Sweet Summer Corn and Squash
Makes 2-4 Servings
  • 2 young zucchinis
  • 2 ears fresh corn, cut from the cob
  • 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped to the top
  • 3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill
  • 1 teaspoon sun-dried sea salt, or to taste
  1. Cut the zucchinis into quarters and then into 1/2-inch pieces. Steam lightly, just until tender. Alternatively, to avoid steaming, thinly slice the zucchinis. Set aside. 
  2. Cut the corn from the cob and cut the tomatoes in half. 
  3. Toss zucchini together with the corn, tomatoes, green onions, olive oil, parsley, cilantro, dill, and sea salt. If using raw zucchini, allow to marinate for at leas 20 minutes.
I omitted the green onion because I don't like 'em. The only other change I'd make to this recipe is reduce the olive oil to 2 tablespoons. I think it would be just as tasty. Other than that, it was perfect. The flavors from all the fresh veg and herbs were divine. I can see myself noshing this poolside with veggie burger and a margarita.

2 comments:

Elaine Vigneault said...

Yum, looks great!

Marni said...

*So* good! Highly recommended. Sweet, fresh, and delish.