Monday, July 21, 2008

WaterCourse Foods ... again

I just returned from a fantabulous trip to Denver, CO and once again, I made sure I had the exquisite pleasure of dining at WaterCourse Foods. If you haven't already done so, please read about my first experience at WaterCourse here. I apologize for the photo quality, but I didn't pack my good camera and I felt pretty dorky taking pictures of food in the middle of a full restaurant.

A friend of mine ordered the dinner special that evening: Farmer's Market Terrine. It was a fresh squash casserole made with sun-dried tomato, and roasted red bell pepper. It came served next to a salad featuring baby arugula, rainier cherry, nectarine, and an oyster mushroom fritter. Everything in the dish was locally grown and organic. The flavors blended perfectly and the dish was light and tasty.


Country Fried Seitan
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
In contrast, I ordered soulful, comfort food: Country Fried Seitan. A hearty breaded seitan steak served with mashed potatoes, country gravy and mixed veggies. On the WaterCourse menu under this selection is the quote, "Just like Grandma should have made."

Holy Seitan, this is one satisfying and delicious plate of food! I couldn't finish it at the restaurant and ended up having the second half of it for breakfast the next morning. Fantastic!

Lastly, our group of five diners split two vegan desserts between us: a piece of the best carrot cake I've ever tasted, vegan or not, and a slice of decadent chocolate pie. Sorry kids, no pictures were taken of these beauties because they were inhaled too fast.

Our waiter was super friendly and helpful and spent lots of time answering our questions. He also bent over backwards accommodating one in our party with a food allergy. I can't say enough positive things about WaterCourse foods. If ever in Denver, CO, please treat yourself and dine there. You may never want to leave.

6 comments:

jessy said...

i'm thinking about making a trip to Denver just to enjoy that country fried seitan - it looks AWESOME! worth the trip alone! if i'm even in Denver you better believe i'm visiting WaterCourse Foods - everything looks scrumptious! hot damn!

glad you're back, Marni!

superw00t!

Marni said...

Yay! WaterCourse rocks. I really wish we had one in San Diego. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is fun and funky. Plus, the friendly wait staff all seem to sport some killer tattoos.

Glad to be back! :D

Erin said...

I've been told I would like Colorado, methinks one day I'll have to go and definitely stop by this restaurant. The food looks so good.

Marni said...

Colorado is beautiful. It's hard for a sea-level dweller like me to adjust to the altitude of places like Denver, but I enjoy the vibe there, which is totally different from what I'm used to. It's a lovely place and WaterCourse is almost reason enough to plan a vacation there. :)

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Marni, hi! I just nominated you for the Brillante Weblog award (check my blog for info). Loved your Corn Week recipes!

Marni said...

Lisa - Wow, thank you! :) I'm going to go check that out right now.