Thursday, July 24, 2008

Basket-Weave Flower Cake

Last night was the final class in the second course of my series of cake decorating classes. This was my final project cake and I think I did a pretty damn good job. :)

It's a vegan, organic, pumpkin chocolate swirl cake with vanilla buttercream icing and all manner of royal icing flowers. Each class we learned how to make a few different flowers and then we put them all together on a basket-weave cake during the final class.


Royal Icing Flowers
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
My instructor told me (on the sly) I was the best in the class which had me beaming and only reaffirmed my assumed affinity and confirmed passion for baking and lay pastry artistry.

Though I generally like to make things from scratch, I don't go to all the trouble for the cakes in my cake decorating class. This cake was made from a Dr. Oetker organic box mix. I then employed a cake mix trick I only recently learned about and it worked so well, I'm sharing here:

Take any boxed cake mix and mix it with one 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree. That's it. No oil or egg replacer or water. Just the pumpkin.

Bake at 400 degrees F 'til done. These little cakes (two layers made from one box of cake mix) were done in about 30 minutes, but I imagine a larger cake would take a bit longer. Just keep checking it with a toothpick or skewer.

The pumpkin keeps the cake moist while adding very little fat. The cake comes out dense, but still rises beautifully. Give it a try!

Next month brings course #3 and the wonders of fondant and gum paste. Yay!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh Marni, that cake is BEAUTIFUL. You have mad decorating skillz, the flowers are so pretty. Your course has paid off for sure.

jessy said...

i think you did a damn good job too, Marni! :) that cake = the "shiznit", and how awesome that your instructor thought it was the best, too! hells yeah! :D it looks absolutely amazing!

this calls for a superw00t! yay!

Lori Madison said...

That cake looks gorgeous.. seriously. Great, now I'm hungry. Blessings..

Marni said...

Thanks, Lori! :) It was quite tasty. Wish I could share a slice with you.

Marni said...

Erin and Jessy - Thanks, ladies! You're always so supportive. :)

Lavani said...

could you please share with me the Royal icing recipie . I am doing course 2 now . I tired a version of the icing and my flowers lost shape . Please help me out . I feel so not motivated .
lakshmilavani@gmail.com

Princess-R-Us said...

Marni, you are so talented! That cake looks amazing! I want to try some of the next cake. :)

Vilasini said...

wow!! that´s really nice!!!

It´s a long time i search for how to make VEGAN Royal Icing Flowers.

All recipes I find are with eggs... where can i find the procedure/recipe???

thanks!!!!

Leela said...

PLEASE PLEASE, I need the recipe for the frosting and the icing flowers. My daughter is 3 and very allergic to dairy, soy, eggs (and more) but that makes it hard to find good icing recipes. She misses the icing that she sees on other people's cakes. I would love this recipe please. Your cake is beautiful!