- Oven roasted basic seitan with toasted wheat germ from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian smothered in MIghty Miso Gravy from How it All Vegan!
- Mac and Cheese from the June 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times garnished with paprika for color. (Recipe below.)
- Salad of mixed greens with grape tomatoes and fake bacon bits topped with Oil-Free Vinaigrette from Living Cuisine.
Serves 4 - Vegan - 30 minutes or fewer
The “cheese” sauce is thickened with rice flour, making it both vegan and gluten free.
- 2 1/2 cups plain soymilk
- 2 1/2 Tbs. white rice flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. large flake nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated garlic
- 1 Tbs. granulated onion
- 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 8-oz. pkg. rotelli (corkscrew) pasta
- Whisk together soymilk, rice flour, yeast, soy sauce, granulated garlic, and granulated onion in saucepan. Simmer 4 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk in margarine and mustard, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and toss with sauce.
I thought the recipe tasted a bit bland (it was designed for kids, after all) so just before I served it, I dropped a spoonful of white miso in and stirred to incorporate.
What a fabulous dinner! We were all fat n' happy by the end of the meal.