Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunday Night Dinner


June 8, 2008
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Tonight we had an omni friend for dinner.  Not in the Hannibal Lector kind of way, but as a guest that I wanted to leave our home happy, so I went "big" for Sunday night dinner. We had...
  1. Oven roasted basic seitan with toasted wheat germ from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian smothered in MIghty Miso Gravy from How it All Vegan!
  2. Mac and Cheese from the June 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times garnished with paprika for color. (Recipe below.)
  3. Salad of mixed greens with grape tomatoes and fake bacon bits topped with Oil-Free Vinaigrette from Living Cuisine.
MAC AND CHEESE
Serves 4 - Vegan - 30 minutes or fewer

The “cheese” sauce is thickened with rice flour, making it both vegan and gluten free.
  • 2 1/2 cups plain soymilk
  • 2 1/2 Tbs. white rice flour
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. large flake nutritional yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs. granulated garlic
  • 1 Tbs. granulated onion
  • 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
  • 1 tsp. yellow mustard
  • 1 8-oz. pkg. rotelli (corkscrew) pasta
  1. Whisk together soymilk, rice flour, yeast, soy sauce, granulated garlic, and granulated onion in saucepan. Simmer 4 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk in margarine and mustard, and simmer 10 minutes more.
  2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and toss with sauce.
PER SERVING: 364 CAL; 15 G PROT; 9 G TOTAL FAT (1.5 G SAT. FAT); 56 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 534 MG SOD; 3 G FIBER; 6 G SUGARS

I thought the recipe tasted a bit bland (it was designed for kids, after all) so just before I served it, I dropped a spoonful of white miso in and stirred to incorporate.

What a fabulous dinner! We were all fat n' happy by the end of the meal.

3 comments:

jessy said...

that all looks so awesome! i wish i was there! :) man, i need to just suck it up and make some seitan! i know it's not too hard, but for some reason i'm just intimidated! you make it look soooooooooooo good!

Marni said...

You can do it! Seitan is eeeeeasy. A little time-consuming, but totally easy. And most of the time involved in making seitan is unattended. Give it a try! I'm going to start making multiple batches when I do have the time (like on weekends) and freezing them.

KL Grady said...

Okay, so I found seitan at Whole Foods in B'ham (couldn't find it anywhere in SD, but whatevs!!). Tonight, I made low-fat chicken in peanut hoisin sauce...and then made the seitanic version for myself. I nixed the oil in the stirfry portion and amped the chili garlic sauce.

I had mamacita and the pops try my stuff, and the response was (especially when they found out how many WW points I saved over them), "Why didn't you serve me yours instead of the chicken???"

Did I mention our dinners lately have been almost exclusively vegetarian (Boca, Gardenburger, etc.) sandwiches with low-fat french fries?

Just wait 'til they see what I have planned for Thanksgiving....