Double Orange Cupcakes
Vegetarian Times Issue: November 1, 2007 p.53
Vinegar and vegan baking go hand in hand as the acid works in place of eggs to bind batters, and interacts with baking soda to make cakes and quick breads rise.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tbs. soy margarine, softened
- 2 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. orange liqueur
- 1 Tbs. orange zest
- To make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in bowl. Stir in juice, oil, vinegar, and orange zest. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- To make Icing: Beat all ingredients with electric mixer until smooth. Spread on cupcakes.
First off, I doubled the recipe because I have some ideas of my own about decorating these little beauties. I'll do half of them in class tonight using whatever techniques we learn. The other half are mine to play with and I have a really cute idea for them if I can get it to work.
Second, since I made them for class, I didn't make the icing listed in the recipe.
The cupcakes are currently cooling on a rack in my kitchen and let me tell you ... the smell in this house is amazing. Every time I walk into the room, I'm greeted with the most delicious, sweet citrus aroma ever. It's going to take some serious restraint not to tear into these beauties before I decorate them.