Monday, June 9, 2008

Double Orange Cupcakes

For tonight's cake decorating class, we were instructed to bring in 12 cupcakes. I was really excited about this because I've been wanting to try this cupcake recipe for months and well ... cupcakes just rock. They're so fun! Nothing brings out the kid in me like a cupcake.

Double Orange Cupcakes
Vegetarian Times Issue: November 1, 2007 p.53

Vinegar and vegan baking go hand in hand as the acid works in place of eggs to bind batters, and interacts with baking soda to make cakes and quick breads rise.

Makes 12 cupcakes

Cupcakes
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup light olive oil
  • 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbs. grated orange zest
Icing
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 3 Tbs. soy margarine, softened
  • 2 Tbs. orange juice
  • 1 Tbs. orange liqueur
  • 1 Tbs. orange zest
Directions
  1. To make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in bowl. Stir in juice, oil, vinegar, and orange zest. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
  3. To make Icing: Beat all ingredients with electric mixer until smooth. Spread on cupcakes.
Nutritional Information Per CUPCAKE: Calories: 242, Protein: 2g, Total fat: 6g, Carbs: 45g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 299mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 30g

First off, I doubled the recipe because I have some ideas of my own about decorating these little beauties. I'll do half of them in class tonight using whatever techniques we learn. The other half are mine to play with and I have a really cute idea for them if I can get it to work.

Second, since I made them for class, I didn't make the icing listed in the recipe.

The cupcakes are currently cooling on a rack in my kitchen and let me tell you ... the smell in this house is amazing. Every time I walk into the room, I'm greeted with the most delicious, sweet citrus aroma ever. It's going to take some serious restraint not to tear into these beauties before I decorate them.

3 comments:

Lees(VERLANG)enLIJST said...

yummy, I can't wait to see how you're goint to decorate them.

jessy said...

orange cupcakes sound freak'n marvelous! i'm excited to see pictures of them all decorated, too! i have no idea how to decorate a cupcake other than just spreading on the frosting - this is going to be great seeing what you do to 'em, Marni! :) yay!

Erin said...

These sound so good. Double orange! Nice. I'm interested to see the decoration.