Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Night Dinner: Savory Chocolate Seitan Pie with Salad

I'm so stuffed. For tonight's dinner, I tried a recipe I spied on the VegNews website the other day called Savory Chocolate Seitan Pie. It's an awesome mix of unsweetened chocolate, curry, seitan, and veggies that cook in an apple juice reduction and then get baked with a mashed potato topper. The finished product is reminiscent of an Indian-style mole. It's really different and it's very good.

By the way, if you give this recipe a try you can save a dirty dish by cooking the seitan and veggies in an oven-safe skillet.  That way, when it's time to pop it all in the oven, you are ready to go and don't have to dirty another dish.  I used a cast iron skillet and it worked perfect.

I paired it with a salad of mixed greens and garbanzo beans dressed in a simple lemon tahini sauce with roasted garlic. The bright lemon flavors seamed to balance out the heaviness of the pie and everything was delicious.

Did I mention I'm full? I couldn't finish my plate. That's so not like me.

I hope your weekend was wonderful! I'm starting a new theme week tomorrow. More on that ... you know ... tomorrow.

7 comments:

KL Grady said...

Besides om and nom and nom, how shall I register my desire to sample this tastiness?

Tonight, the father got exasperated with me when I refused to eat the deep-fried turkey and green beans cooked with bacon chunks. I ate some of the boiled potatoes and nuked some edamame when I realized my options were nil. Father said: "What the hell do you eat, anyway?"

This after I've made that man seitan-navy bean "sausages" that took an hour and a half to prepare. O.o

allularpunk said...

this looks so good! i love cooking things in my cast iron skillet... it's just so...easy. i've never cooked chocolate in a savory fashion before, but i have been meaning to try. yum!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

That recipe looks and sounds fantastic!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Chocolate Seitan Pie!!!
The mind boggles. It looks super yum anyhow.
xx

Marni said...

KL: Consider your desire registered. Why are you spending so much time making such things for the father? Make that shit for yourself and people that can appreciate the time and effort you put into it. Like me. :) Speaking of, I'd love that recipe. Sounds interesting.

Allularpunk: I love cooking in cast iron, too. If you've been wanting to try chocolate in a savory dish, this is a great one to start with. Or you can always make a traditional mole sauce. Yum!

Tami: Thanks, it is! Give it a try!

Jeni Treehugger: It's totally yum. I hope you try it!

jessy said...

sorry i'm a bit behind on your blog, Marni! work has been bananas - and that's when i usually have some time to catch up on all the awesomeness. i'm glad you gave that recipe a go. i saw it too and thought "i wish my stomach could handle seitan!" - 'cause the combination really had me wanting to try it. i wonder if there's something else i can sub in. maybe tempeh? i dunno. i'll take a look at that one again.

hooray for a theme week! i'm gonna read up on it here in a few & i can't wait!

Sal said...

That sounds nuts - but ace!