Saturday, December 13, 2008

Old School Lunch on a Cold Day ... and Another Movie Night!

I love how my diet has expanded since going vegan. I eat a far greater variety of foods as a vegan than I ever did as an omni or a veggie and I discover new things I love to eat all the time.

But every once in a while, it's good to go old school and stick with simple, easy, comfort food. Today is one of those days. We had a storm blow in last night and I just haven't been able to get warm since. As I sat wringing my hands for heat and pondering my options, I occurred to me it would be smart to pick something that requires an extended stint in the oven.

Ah-hah! Baked potatoes! Perfect.

So, I baked some taters and when they were done, I steamed some broccoli and made a quick batch of Eazy Breezy Cheezy Sauce from How it All Vegan!

Delish, easy, and totally satisfying. The trifecta of food.

We were supposed to attend another movie night under the stars tonight, but it's too cold and rainy to sit outside. We'll probably end up hosting in our living room instead. I'm planning on making white hot chocolate with booze, popcorn, and maybe something sweet to eat. Also, I'm thinking we may just have our first fire of the season in our fireplace.

Tonight's movie will be Tropic Thunder which is probably the funniest movie I've seen in a few years. As soon as it came out on DVD, I ran out to buy it. I can't wait to share it with The Husband. I laughed so hard when I saw it in the theater, at one point I flipped my popcorn out of my lap. Heh ... here's a preview:



Hope you have something fun planned for tonight!

4 comments:

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

What you say about eating so many different things is so true! Being vegan really brings so much more variety to the plate.

KL Grady said...

at one point I flipped my popcorn out of my lap.

Which, of course, was just as funny as the scene, which, of course, caused me to choke on a piece of popcorn.

Good times. I'm so putting this on my Xmas list.

Marni said...

Tami: I know! :) I tell people how much more variety I enjoy now that I'm vegan and I don't think they believe me.

KL: Seriously good times. Happy memories of girls' night out. Can't wait to get a few more of those in when y'all get back to SoCal. :) Before you leave again. :(

jessy said...

i too find myself eating a larger variety of foods being vegan. it's awesome & i love it so much! but i hear ya on go'n back to the old school yummies sometimes, and there's nothing wrong with that!

your baked potato, broccoli, and cheezy sauce all look freak'n tasty as hell, Marni! and hooray for a warmer, indoor movie night. Tropic Thunder had me laughing so hard! it's the best! hope your movie night was a glorious success! (i am sure it was!)