Thursday, December 4, 2008

Caramelized Onion & Shroomed Seitan Stewskie

I've been developing recipes like a mad woman as of late. I've got computer files and notebooks full of ideas and things I want to try. Today I finally got off my ass tried one of them.

For now, I'm calling it a Caramelized Onion and Shroomed Seitan Stewskie. It's a hearty combination of sweet from the caramelized onion and savory from the mushroom seitan. A brewskie (a lovely pumpkin beer in this case) provides the base for the stewing liquid, hence the play on words.

I've got to say, it's really freakin' good. The Husband gets the final word on it tonight when he gets home from work but I'm confident he's going to love it.

Why am I developing recipes?

Well, it's no secret I have dreams of writing and publishing cookbooks some day. I'd also love to own my own bakery and/or catering business. You know, on top of being a stay-at-home mom of a child with special needs and a college student. In my "spare time." Ha! But really, it's this...

For most my life, cooking food has been how I expressed myself. Since going vegan, this has become exponentially true. Making the transition to veganism almost a year ago has allowed me to foster a new relationship with my food. One that is built on a foundation of compassion and true joy. Out of all that ooey-gooey happiness, a true passion has emerged.

I love food.

I love to feed people.

I love when people love my food.

It's that simple. I have no idea where all this recipe development will lead me, if anywhere at all. But I know I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

NEXT DAY EDIT:  The Husband loved the stew and proclaimed that I "hit one out of the park."  He stuffed himself with two big bowls and took another container of it to have for lunch.  Hooray!

9 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

Hell YEAH!
I have dreams of writing a Cook Book one day too but with creations like this Stewskie you're well om your way Marni!

(I thought I'd leave the spelling mistake because, well....I like it and I think it's appropriate)

:)

Marni said...

Jeni Treehugger: Om backatcha. Thank you, Jeni. I'll write a cookbook if you will. :D

jessy said...

wow, Marni! what a tasty look'n dish! and three cheers for creating more of your own recipes! i think it's awesome you're taking your ideas and creating yummies - and that would be so sweet if you opened up your own place - and wrote a cookbook, too! (this is where i beg you to consider me to be one of your recipe testers! ahahaa! you like how i snuck that in there, yeah?!)

i'm trying to step out of my own comfort zone lately and turn more of my ideas into dishes as well. it's a bit hard for me, as i just became vegan back in january, but it's fun. i just have to learn to take constructive criticism better!

rock on, Marni! rock on!

jessy said...

p.s. - and i can't read your other post just yet because i still haven't caught up on top chef! but when i do i'll read it! i don't wanna spoil it for myself! aahahahahaaa!

allularpunk said...

you should absolutely write a cookbook! and let me be a tester *winkwinknudgenudge*

i'd like to write a cookbook, but... i'm not sure i'm creative enough in the kitchen yet. it'd just be a bunch of different burrito fillings and pizzas.

Princess-R-Us said...

That looks amazing and yes, you definitely should write a cook book!

Bethany said...

that soup looks amazing and I love the name.

keeping a list of food ideas is a great idea. I have ideas, but then file them away in my mind only remembering them when it's not really a good time to cook.

With recipes like stewskie you are well on your way to making your dreams reality.

Marni said...

Jessy: Thanks Jessy! I think you and I both went vegan at the same time, then. I'm coming up on my one-year-anniversary on January 1, 2009. w00t! As far as taking constructive criticism is concerned, it's a tough one, but the more you put yourself out there, the easier it gets. I love it when people play with their food!

Allularpunk: I can see it now, you're cookbook: Stuff You Put on Pizza or In a Tortilla. I'd totally buy that. :)

Princess-R-Us: Thank you, my dear.

Bethany: Thank you! I have to write my ideas down. Even looking back a week or two, there I things in my notebooks I don't remember thinking of. Ha! If I didn't write 'em down, they'd be gone forever.

cookingforaveganlover said...

wow that looks incredible!