Monday, December 8, 2008

Sunday Night Dinner: Seitan Sammies

Last night's dinner was a big departure for me. I almost never make sandwiches ... unless it's peanut butter and jelly. I'm certainly not known to make them for company. But last night, that's exactly what I did.

The sandwich started with a sweet n' sour cabbage and apple dish I made in the morning. It was a beautiful purple color (from the cabbage) and flavored with cloves and fresh lemon juice. Absolutely delish. Very rich and warming with bold flavors.

I then made a sandwich spread. I started with a container of French Onion Tofutti and let it come to room temp. I tossed it in the food processor with a head of roasted garlic and a few splashes of liquid smoke to taste. Yum! More bold flavor.

The Husband picked up a fresh loaf of pumpernickel from a local bakery and I already had a grainy mustard on hand.

When dinnertime rolled around, I roasted thin slices of orange sweet potato, beets, and parsnips. The sandwiches were built on toasted pumpernickel and consisted of a mound of the cabbage and apple dish, pan-fried seitan, the mustard on one side and the creamy spread on the other.

Out of this world, I tell you! All the flavors were incredible together and perfectly underscored the cold and rainy weather that rolled in last night. How I wish I could just go to a sandwich shop and get something like that!

After dinner, I baked the best oatmeal cookies I've ever tasted, which I promise to share more about very soon. I hope your weekend was fantastic!

8 comments:

jessy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessy said...

the spread, that cabbage, the seitan and PUMPERNICKEL all sound soooooooo awesome! a combination of deliciousness, indeed! damn, Marni!

man, i wish my tummy could handle seitan - you think there's something i could sub in instead? (too much wheat-gluten makes my belly supersadfaced) i would love to recreate your sammie - it sounds divine (and i want to eat a million of them)!!!

Liz said...

wow. That sounds perfect in every way. I want a seitan sandwich right now!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Mmmmmmm.....sounds YUM!
I absolutely LOVE Pumpernickel, not had it in ages. And I plan on getting me some of that Onion Tofutti when I'm in the UK!

Marni said...

Jessy: Thanks! What about smoked tofu to replace the seitan? Bummer your tummy can't tolerate seitan. :(

Liz: Thank you! :D

Jeni Treehugger: Thanks! I love pumpernickel, too! Good luck picking up some French Onion Tofutti! It's really delish.

allularpunk said...

i LOVE sammiches! sammies for dinner are like, the ultimate indulgence for me. except, sometimes they're more complicated than you'd think when you make loads of toppings to go in them. TOTALLY worth the effort though, i say. your veggie crisps look lovely as well. yum! i totally have sammich envy over here!

i cannot wait to see that oatmeal cookie recipe, either, buddy.

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

That sandwich sounds divine! Seitan sandwiches are my favorite, I think... but yours takes it to the next level!

jdove said...

I know it's like two weeks ago by now (I'm a slacker, what can I say, hehe), but I wanted to comment on this sandwich because I actually got to try it.

I was surprised at just how much I liked it. I'm not a huge fan of cabbage, and I hadn't had any pumpernickel since I was a kid because I decided I didn't like it. Thankfully I leave myself open to re-trying things now that I'm an adult!

The flavors all blended together really well and made for a really different-in-a-good-way, sink-your-teeth-in, make-your-mouth-water kind of experience. Yum yum!