Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Vegan Stuffing Wins Big on Top Chef

So, last week's episode of Top Chef was quite exciting.  First, the elimination challenge was hefty: they had to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the Foo Fighters and their entire road crew without a kitchen!  They we outside without a fridge, freezer, or stove in sight.  They had only microwaves and toaster ovens to work with and in the middle of it all, they got rained on.  It was a serious challenge.

But something even more amazing than that happened: the dish that nearly everyone went bananas over was a vegan stuffing!  Hooray!  I just get excited whenever I even hear the word vegan on TV, but to see a bunch of foodies get psyched about vegan food is very cool.

Now, the recipe was originally published on the Bravo website with a typo which which made it appear as though it's not truly vegan.  However, it has since been fixed and I'm really looking forward to trying it.  So without further rambling, I give you....
 
Radhika Desai's Roasted Veggie Vegan Cornbread Stuffing


  • 6 egg and dairy free corn muffins
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 3 T minced garlic
  • 1 T oregano
  • 1 T rosemary
  • 1 T thyme
  • 1 T basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 quart vegetable stock
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  1. Small dice squash, zucchini, red pepper.
  2. Toss veggies with olive oil, herbs and salt and pepper.
  3. Put in 350 degree oven in one layer, and roast for approximately 25 minutes, or until soft.
  4. Sauté garlic in oil, combine herbs and add to garlic.
  5. Crumble in the corn muffins.
  6. Toss and combine with veggies.
  7. Spread in large casserole dish.
  8. Pour over stock and bake for 15 minutes.
  9. Garnish with chopped scallion and serve.
If you want to watch the episode, you can do so here.

Here's to more vegan yummies on Top Chef!

11 comments:

madcapcupcake said...

That stuffing sounds awesome. MUST try. SOON.

allularpunk said...

soo... i really can't stand radhika, but also thought it was totally awesome that the vegan stuffing was loved by all!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

How awesome that a vegan recipe was the hit! YAY!

Hannah said...

I was so happy to see that the vegan stuffing was one of the runaway hits on that episode! Win one for veganism! :)

Marni said...

madcapcupcakes: Word! ;)

Allularpunk: LOL She's not my fav this season, but I wouldn't say I can't stand her. There are certainly others that squick me more.

Tami: Indeed!

Hannah: Me too. I'm happy to see veganism "normalizing," though I'm not sure it'll ever be "the norm." But things like this give me hope.

Jeni Treehugger said...

Mmmm it sounds lovely - totally unusual using the Corn Muffins.

Marni said...

Jeni Treehugger: I agree. Sounds like a smart shortcut to me.

Bethany said...

that is really cool. Love it when vegan dishes get rave reviews, too ;)

Marni said...

Bethany: Agreed!

Karen said...

Those are fresh herbs, right? It wouldn't be 1 tablespoon of dried, correct?

Marni said...

Hi Karen,

I'm assuming so. I haven't made it myself, but if I were making it I'd got with fresh herbs if I had them or reduce the quantity if I were using dry herbs.

Good luck!