Gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade-free, raw/living
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic fruit (e.g., berries, mango, kiwi, peach, pear, cherries), chopped if needed
- 1 cup packed organic baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fruit juice (pear, mango, or berry nectar is nice)
- 1 tsp spirulina (and/or 1 tbsp greens powder blend [option])
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup filtered water
- For a creamier smoothie, substitute non-dairy milk for the juice.
- While blending, you may add 1 tbsp freshly ground flax seeds or anything else you may like in your smoothie.
- Add the banana, fruit, spinach, juice, and spirulina into a blender or food processor.
- Whirl ingredients for about 30 seconds, until all fruit has been processed. Slowly add water and re-blend to desired consistency.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Makes 1 large serving as a meal (2 1/4 cups), or two smaller servings. By my count, this recipe is 7 WW points in total (6 if you make it with all water instead of juice). You'd cut that in half, of-course, if you shared it with someone.
I've tried recipe after recipe while searching for the perfect green smoothie, and they've all tasted like varying degrees of ass. (To be honest, a couple weren't bad, but I knew I could do better!) But I stuck with it because I love Naked Juice's Green Machine, so I knew I could love a green smoothie. Plus, I love smoothies in general and having a smoothie for breakfast sounds like the perfect start to most days to me. Unless it's cold and then I want oatmeal.
Point being I've choked down my fair share of green smoothies and finally feel like I've got a winning recipe. Don't let all my effort go to waste. Give this baby a try!