Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Seriously Delicious Green Smoothie

As promised, here's the recipe from Jae Steele's Get it Ripe, the cookbook I currently can't get my nose out of.  I am so loving this book! 

Green Smoothie
Gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade-free, raw/living
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen organic fruit (e.g., berries, mango, kiwi, peach, pear, cherries), chopped if needed
  • 1 cup packed organic baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup fruit juice (pear, mango, or berry nectar is nice)
  • 1 tsp spirulina (and/or 1 tbsp greens powder blend [option])
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup filtered water
NOTES:  
  • For a creamier smoothie, substitute non-dairy milk for the juice.
  • While blending, you may add 1 tbsp freshly ground flax seeds or anything else you may like in your smoothie.
  1. Add the banana, fruit, spinach, juice, and spirulina into a blender or food processor.
  2. Whirl ingredients for about 30 seconds, until all fruit has been processed.  Slowly add water and re-blend to desired consistency.
  3. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Makes 1 large serving as a meal (2 1/4 cups), or two smaller servings.  By my count, this recipe is 7 WW points in total (6 if you make it with all water instead of juice).  You'd cut that in half, of-course, if you shared it with someone.

I've tried recipe after recipe while searching for the perfect green smoothie, and they've all tasted like varying degrees of ass.  (To be honest, a couple weren't bad, but I knew I could do better!)  But I stuck with it because I love Naked Juice's Green Machine, so I knew I could love a green smoothie.  Plus, I love smoothies in general and having a smoothie for breakfast sounds like the perfect start to most days to me.  Unless it's cold and then I want oatmeal.

Point being I've choked down my fair share of green smoothies and finally feel like I've got a winning recipe.  Don't let all my effort go to waste.  Give this baby a try!

4 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

Yet another book I want!!

jessy said...

yay! and i love that this has spirulina in it, too! that stuff is just too darn good for you! i'll have to find some spirulina in bulk and hook it up. thanks, Marni! i also want to see about get'n my hands on that cookbook, too! don't you just love reading cookbooks?! it's my absolute fav! :D

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

I recently started drinking green smoothies and I love them! I have started making them with kale and they are the best. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Sounds very healthy!!