Friday, October 31, 2008

MoFo 31: Halloween Night Eats

Every year on Halloween night, all the neighbors on my street get together. We set up tables for all our candy, creating a one-stop-shop for the trick-or-treaters. All the kids run wild while the adults socialize, sip hot spiked cider, and enjoy a potluck-style feast.

My contribution to the Halloween feast this year was a fantastic pasta dish that I threw together on the fly. It was basically just some fusilli topped with a creamy, curried pumpkin sauce. It was such a big hit, I'm going to try to recreate it and write the recipe down so I can share it.

I also baked a cake, which I intended to share with the neighbors. Unfortunately, it never made it out of the kitchen so now The Husband and I will have to eat it all. Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Anyhow, it was my first time with this recipe, which happens to be out of my new cookbook - Get it Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living by Jae Steele over at Domestic Affair. This is only the second recipe I've made from Get it Ripe, and I already think I'm in love. But more on that tomorrow. For now, let's talk cake.

This Carob Chai Cake with Cardamom Icing is so much better than I expected it to be, and I expected it to be very good. I'm shocked at how rich and moist it is. The cake is not cloyingly sweet, is delightfully spicy (it has cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and black pepper!), and the deep color is just beautiful. It was also easy to put together, and who doesn't love that?

I'm not going to post the cake recipe because I already have plans to post another recipe from the book tomorrow. But next time you're at the bookstore, pick this one up and flip through the pages. The recipes are creative, healthy, and resourceful. She's also got lots of useful charts and great info on the social, economic, and other important issues surrounding food, along with additional info on nutrition, basic cooking, tools, tips, techniques, and more. There's even a section on cleansing and detoxification.

I hope your Halloween was super spooky and lots of fun. I also hope VeganMoFo was as enjoyable for you as it was for me. My theme of "putting food by" served dual purposes: it gave me plenty to talk about for the month and it allowed me to get our kitchen stocked up for NaNoWriMo. If you're a NaNo'er, hit me up on the website - I'm Scorpio Rising. Just don't ask me what I'm writing about. I don't know yet. That's half the fun! :)

6 comments:

jessy said...

thanks for all the MoFo posts, Marni! i enjoyed all of them and learned so much from your posts, too! i was just explaining to dan last night about types of soups that are good for freezing and cookie dough freezing, too (which he thinks is the best idea ever)!

that's so cool that you and your neighbors get together for halloween. i wish people in our neighborhood were more social - i would love to do something like that! oooooo! i can see how that cake didn't make it out the door - it's glorious! sounds freak'n amazing, too! mmmmmmmmmmmmm! i'd love to have the recipe for your pasta as well. we've still got a little pumpkin here at the house that i want to put to good use!

Jeni Treehugger said...

I'd buy that book on this Cake recipe alone - it looks divine!!
Good MoFo'ing - I'm soooo glad I found your blog.

*high fives*

Princess-R-Us said...

Oh Marni, that pasta was sooooo amazing! I'm so glad you saved me a piece of the best cake ever! Good thing that wasn't left at my house! lol I'd be forced to eat it all. lol Ummmmm....... oh ya! Loved the hot spiked cider too! xoxo

sarchan said...

That pumpkin pasta looks so good.

And the cake!--maybe I could get behind a carob cake when it is coupled with chai.

allularpunk said...

oh dude. if i am very very nice, will you come cook for me since i am sickypoo? i can't really taste anything, but pumpkin curry pasta and some badass looking cake sounds just fine to me.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my, that cake is gorgeous! I love the idea of pumpkin pasta! yum.