Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Faux Parmy, you're so fine. You're so fine, you blow my mind.

It was a dark and stormy ... um ... afternoon. I was rummaging around my kitchen for a quick, warm, comfort-foodie lunch when I remembered one of my pre-vegan favorites: Black Eyed Peas with Rice and Parmesan Cheese.

Since I had rice cooked and waiting in the fridge along with a can of black eyed peas on the pantry, I immediately got to work.

I wish this were a bit healthier, thought I as I regarded my lunch.

Greeeeeeens, my vegan guides whispered in my ear. So I grabbed some frozen spinach and began defrosting it.

I got it all incorporated and it looked and smelled absolutely delicious but it still needed something.

I wish I had some faux parmy to throw on this, thought I.

Maaaaaake sommmmme, my guides answered yet again. Don't ask me why they talk all spooky like that. I have no idea.

I had read about making fake parmesan cheeze before, but had never tried it. So I threw 1/2 cup of pine nuts in a pan to toast while I pulled out the nutritional yeast.  I dutifully jiggled the pan so the nuts didn't burn.

Whenthey were perfectly golden brown, I tossed them in the food processor with 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt. I flipped the switch and pulsed 'til it looked similar to the parmesan cheese of the days of yore.

I sprinkled some faux parmy on my lunch and all I gotta say is why have I not tried this sooner?!

Faux parmy (as we're calling it around my house now) is incredibly tasty and versatile. I've been noshing it on all manner of dishes over the last week and I think I'm hooked.

I hear you can also make it with toasted sesame seeds and nutritional yeast, keeping the same ratio of 1:1. I can't wait to try different versions employing various nuts n' seeds 'til I find the perfect one for me. Though, I'm having a hard time imagining it being better than the pine nut version.

But then, there's no time like the first time.

Faux Parmy, you're so fine.
You're so fine, you blow my mind.
Faux Parmy!
:::clap clap ... clap clap:::
Faux Parmy!
:::clap clap ... clap clap:::

7 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

You do realise I just totally sang that title don't you Marni....

Faux Parmy is delish! And so simple!!

allularpunk said...

they're like the voices from field of dreams. cool.

and i have yet to venture into faux parmy-dome myself. it sounds too easy to be true.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Your vegan guides sound pretty pushy!

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

I know you have already been tagged by Jeni Treehugger but I am tagging you again!

You can check out the details here:

Zoey's Kitchen

jessy said...

hooray for faux parmy - i love that you two call it that! fun names for yummies is the best!

i never understood why people bothered to buy faux parmesan. we've always just combine equal parts nooch & raw walnuts (sometimes adding in a tbsp or two of raw sunflower seeds) in the food processor and enjoyed that instead of buy'n it ('cause it can be pretty expensive!). it's so yum! now i've gotta try the faux parmy with toasted pine nuts - 'cause that sounds soooooo damn delicious! i can't eat enough pine nuts! mmmmmmmmmmm! i also had no idea you could store them in the freezer. awesome! 'cause we buy them in bulk and i'm always afraid some might go kinda stale. oh yeah, and i need to add in a hooray for greens & black eyed peas! hot damn!

all hail faux parmy! ;)

Liz said...

I just realized that Zoey tagged both of us for the 7 facts thing...but I really want you to do it, so you get my tag, too!

Erin said...

I LOVE noochy faux parm, I try to always have it on hand just to add that extra oomph to anything that needs it. I like it made with almonds best.