Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Who you callin' a VeganMoFo?


Today marks the beginning of VeganMoFo and I'm pretty excited about my bloggy plans for the month. Since my theme weeks have been so popular in the past, I thought this would be a great opportunity to experiment a little and tackle a month-long theme. So, for the month of October, most of my entries will deal with the same theme.

Brainstorming ideas for VeganMoFo was a bit tricky.  In the past, my theme weeks have dealt with raw foods, during which I ate only raw foods for one week, and corn, during which I prepared and shared different recipes calling for corn each day.  But eating the same way or the same ingredient every day for one week is a far cry from a month-long commitment. 

My first idea was to center my VeganMoFo posts around pumpkin.  I absolutely love pumpkin and October is the perfect time of year to start talking about it.  I'd even go so far to say that I have an odd obsession with pumpkin.  As a result, I have a massive collection of pumpkin recipes.  Everything from traditional sweet dishes like pies and breakfast breads to insanely delicious savory dishes including pasta sauces, tamales, and soups.  I even have recipes for Pumpkin Juice a la Harry Potter and perhaps my most coveted recipe: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream.  

But even with my pumpkin fetish and the diversity of my recipe collection, I'm not sure I could manage to eat pumpkin every day for a month.  Besides, I certainly don't want to taint my love for pumpkin by overdosing on it.  So I started thinking outside the box, a bit.  (No worries fellow pumpkin lovers, I'll get to some of those pumpkin recipes over the next few months.  I'll probably even work a couple in this month.)  Instead of going with one ingredient, I thought it would be nice to theme my first VeganMoFo around a technique, instead.  So without further ado... 

This month's theme will be what old-schoolers call "putting food by."  It basically refers to all manner of food preservation techniques like canning, drying, freezing, pickling, curing, root-cellaring, infusing, and the like.  I plan to select some of my favorite techniques and recipes to share over the course of VeganMoFo.   

October is the perfect month for this sort of thing because all the late harvest fruits and veggies are still hangin' around the farmer's markets and produce sections (or your own garden if you're lucky enough to have one).  The markets tend to go rather dormant during the colder months and there's not much better than knowing you have fresh-frozen summer berries at home or bake-ready applie pie filling, canned and ready to go.  When you put food by, you can enjoy out-of-season produce without having to buy it flown in from Paraguay and it fits in perfectly with the but local and DIY aesthetics so many of us live by.  Plus, if you're planning to put food by for holiday gifts, which I do every year, it allows enough calendar space for the more time-consuming techniques (like making vodka infusions and liqueurs).  

So hold on to your hats and glasses kids, if all goes as planned this will be a rockin' VeganMoFo here at La Vegan Loca.

9 comments:

jessy said...

happy veganmofo, Marni! i can't wait for your techniques posts! wahoooooooooooo! i too love me some pumpkin (although i'd never had pumpkin juice), but i can see how one would not want to overdose and kill their love of the deliciously fantastical pumpkin! i've never heard of "putting food by" and i'm superexcitedface to read & learn all about it.

it's gonna be one helluva veganmofo, fo 'sho! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

KL Grady said...

Woo hoo!

But bring us the pumpkin, bizatch! Or else I'll send you Alabammy kitsch by the pallet.

allularpunk said...

what an awesome idea! can't wait to see some of your food preservation techniques.

evestirs said...

"putting food by" ---> sounds interesting!

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

I just found your blog today and I can't wait to see the techniques you share for Vegan MoFo.

I am hoping you will sneak in some pumpkin recipes too- those sound delicious.

Liz said...

Sold! I'll definitely be reading to further my food preservation obsessions.

Bex said...

This is great. I need to know about some of these things. I look forward to your posts.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Super! I can't wait. I am buckled in and ready for the ride of my life.

theveganfoodie said...

I look so forward to your pumpkin recipes!!