Thursday, October 2, 2008

MoFo 2: Roasted Veggie Stock


Roasted Veggies
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Homemade veggie stock is extremely versatile and infinitely better than any store-bought variety available. Because it's just as easy to make it in big batches than it is to make small ones, it's the perfect thing to preserve for later use. Having homemade veggie stock on hand at all times makes kick-ass soups, sauces, and host of other culinary options available with little planning.

When I make and freeze stock, I usually spread the process out over two days. On day one, I make the stock. I then let it come to room temperature after which I refrigerate it overnight. On day two, I repackage it in freezable containers, date and label it, and pop in the freezer.

This recipe is the Mac Daddy of veggie stocks. The veggies are roasted, which drives the moisture out and converts the sugars in the veggies to tasty nibbles. It adds an intensity and complexity to your stock that you simply cannot get any other way. The freezing technique will work, of-course, for any veggie stock you make, but if you'd like to give this recipe a crack, here's what you need to know:

Roasted Veggie Stock
from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
Makes: 3 quarts
Time: About 2 hours, largely unattended
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 well-washed leeks, cut into chunks
  • 4 carrots, cut into chunks
  • 2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
  • 1 parsnip, cut into chunks
  • 2 potatoes, quartered
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 15-20 white mushrooms, halved or sliced
  • A small bunch of parsley leaves
  • 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1/4 cups soy sauce, or more to taste
  • 10 black peppercorns
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Combine the oil, leeks, carrots, celery, parsnip, potatoes, garlic, and mushrooms in a large roasting pan; stir to coat all the veggies with oil. Put the pan in the oven and roast, shaking the pan occasionally and turning the ingredients once or twice, until everything is nicely browned. This will take about 45 minutes; don't rush it.

  2. Roasted Veggie Stock
    Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
    Use a slotted spoon to scoop the roasted veggies into a stockpot; add the herbs, 1/4 cup soy sauce, peppercorns, wine, salt to taste, and 2 quarts water. Turn the heat to high. Meanwhile, put the roasting pan over a burner on high heat and add 2-4 cups water, depending on the depth of the pan. Bring it to a boil and cook, scraping off all the bits of food that have stuck to the bottom. Pour this mixture into a the stockpot (along with 2 more cups water if you only used 2 cups for deglazing).
  3. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and adjust the heat so the mixture sends up a few bubbles at a time. Cook until the veggies are very soft, 30-45 minutes. Strain, pressing on the veggies to extract as much juice as possible. Taste and add more soy sauce, salt, or ground pepper if necessary before using or storing.

I made a big ol' pot of this tonight and the house smelled absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, I was so focused on making the stock I forgot about cooking dinner. So, when the stock was done, The Husband and I threw toasted whole wheat dinner rolls one a plate and covered them with the strained veggies from the stock. I had Braggs on mine. He had hot sauce on his. Divine.

In tomorrow's post, I'll cover how to make stock concentrates to save space, freezing and storage options for stocks, and how long each can be safely stored.

5 comments:

kindkitchen said...

Very cool! I need to make my own stock, but I have hardly any room in my freezer. I am very interested in tomorrow's post.

allularpunk said...

man...i have never brought myself to making my own stock, but this recipe might just make me commit to it. if i ever, ever find the time (and room in my freezer to store it!).

jessy said...

i would have never thought to roast the veggies to make stock with them! mmmmmmmmm! i love this idea, Marni! i need to make my own veggie stock. i would agree with you - sounds like a 2 day process to me as well.

i super ♥ that you guys ate the veggies over rolls! less food waste = the best! and hooray for a scrumptious dinner!

Bethany said...

homeade stock is so worth the effort. And really, there isn't much chopping. I love to have it as a broth with maybe some noodles in there.

It's also good w/ the matzoh ball recipe from VWAV. matzoh balls are just a round and fluffy version of a noodle in my opinion. yummy.

Marni said...

KindKitchen - I hope my ideas on saving space help! Homemade stock is so worth it.

Allularpunk - Just try it once! I guarantee you'll never want to go back to store-bought stock. :)

Jessy - I was happy that we used the veggies from the stock, too. I'd never thought to do that before. Not sure why, but I'll never toss them again, now. It was so good! A very rustic and hearty dinner.

Bethany - Agreed. On all counts, agreed! Matzoh takes me back to happy meals with family. I'm ashamed to admit I've never tried the recipe in VWAV. But I'm sure I will, now. Thanks for the tip.