Tuesday, October 21, 2008

MoFo 21: Oven Dried Apples


Apple Slicer
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Continuing on the topic of oven-drying food, check out my project for today! I oven-dried 6 granny smiths in preparation for some cookies I plan to bake soon.

This recipe calls for chopped dried apples, so I chopped them ahead of time to make things easier. If you're lucky enough to have one of those handy-dandy apple-slicers, it makes quick and painless work of it all. Once chopped, I spread them out on a cooling rack which I had resting over a sheet pan. I dried them in the oven at 225 degrees F for about 3-4 hours. I didn't dry them all the way, because I know I'm going to use them within a few days. Had I wanted to store them longer, I would have dried them completely, which would have taken much longer.


Oven-Dried Apples
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
For now, I'll store them in an airtight container in the fridge. As an aside, I did not treat them with lemon juice to prevent browning. But if the color squicks you, feel free to do so yourself. A spritz of lemon juice or a quick dip in acidulated water will do the trick. And if I have you scratching your head, acidulated water is simply water with a bit of lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or even a dissolved chewable vitamin C mixed in. Dipping cut apples in it prevents oxidation, thereby preventing browning. You can also use apple juice and I hear you can use lemon-lime soda, though I've never tried that myself. Cool tips, huh?

7 comments:

VEGAN TICKLES said...

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Dried apples taste so yumy

theveganfoodie said...

Dried apples are so good!! Yours look amazing!!

jessy said...

ohhh! these look awesome, Marni! and here i was thinking one needed fancy equipment to dehydrate fruit and such. not the case = awesome! i need to get a nice cooling rack so i can do this. christmas wish list! yay! i can't wait to see the cookies you create with these! excitedface!

allularpunk said...

oooh! i didn't know you could do this with apples! neato.

theveganfoodie said...

Hey I tagged you to show your freezer!

Marni said...

Vegan Tickles: Thanks! I love 'em, too!

TheVeganFoodie: Agreed! And thank you for tagging me and my freezer. I hope to get to it tomorrow. :)

Jessy: No fancy equipment needed! Ain't it cool?

Allularpunk: Yup. You can do it with just about any fruit or veggie. It's a good skill to know so you can pull it out of your pocket and wow your friends. :D

Jeni Treehugger said...

This is another FAB posting by you - I LOVE your blog. If I haven't said it before then I should have.
I could do with one of those fancy corers myself.