Saturday, October 11, 2008

MoFo 11: Freezing Homemade Waffles, Pancakes or Crepes

We had a rock star breakfast this morning: Pumpkin Nut Waffles with homemade Pomegranate Syrup and a light dusting of organic powdered sugar. I started with the recipe for Pumpkin Waffles from VWAV and folded in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. The recipe is great as is, but the nuts just push it over the top, adding texture and harvesty flavor.

The Husband ran an errand just before I start making them and when he returned, I was about halfway through the batter. He said he could smell them all the way out into the street. Yeah, baby! That's some serious olfactory action.

Anyhow, I thought this morning's breakfast would be a perfect segue into one of my favorite penny-pinching, "putting food by" tricks. The Boy loves waffles. At first I was buying him frozen waffles from the store, but then I realized how much cheaper it is to make and freeze them myself. Plus, I know exactly what's going into them and The Husband and I can indulge every once in a while, if we want.

Procedure for freezing homemade waffles (et al) as ganked from Alton Brown (the geek-chic-iest foodie ever ... ah, if only he were vegan) on his show, Good Eats...

Freezing Homemade Waffles
  1. Set waffle iron to medium so your waffles aren't as crispy and cook as normal.
  2. Allow them to cool on a towel or cooling rack.
  3. Bag 'em and tag 'em and freeze them flat. Once they are frozen, you can rearrange them in your freezer to conserve space. They'll keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
  4. When you're ready for a waffle, throw one in the toaster or toaster oven just like you would store-bought frozen waffles.
Freezing Homemade Pancakes
  1. Allow to cool completely.
  2. Wrap each in a paper towel.
  3. Seal inside a zip-top bad and freeze flat on chilled sheet pan.
  4. Once frozen, rearrange if desired. Will keep in freezer for up to 6 months.
  5. Bring back to life in toaster or toaster oven.
Freezing Homemade Crepes
  1. Allow to cool.
  2. Place wax paper in-between each crepe and store in air-tight bag for up to 1 month in the freezer.

4 comments:

jessy said...

another great idea! sometimes i'm too sleepyfaced to make a tasty brunch in the morning and freezing waffles & pancakes sounds like the solution, indeed! ohhhh - when we had cable i was obsessed with good eats - i just love Alton Brown, too. who knows - maybe one day he'll become vegan. man, that would rock so hard!

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

This post was perfect timing because I just made pumpkin pancakes this morning. I have some leftovers in the refrigerator but I am thinking I will transfer them to the freezer so I can pull one out when I am craving a homemade pancake. Thank you for the tips!

theveganfoodie said...

Those waffles look amazing!!

das said...

This is just one of dozens possible ways to serve the waffles. But this one is very delicious, as well as the waffles themselves. The fresh hot waffle, crisp on the outside and tender within, topped with a scoop (or two) of immediately starting melting tangy ice cream and thick homemade blueberry sauce make a really nice combo, I can assure you.All preparation is done the night before. Only the eggs are added right before the baking. The waffles are wonderful fresh, right from the grids.
-------------

Mobin
Promoter