I'm talking about Pomegranate Syrup, aka Grenadine. Though the stuff you get in the store sometimes has cherry syrup in it, the "good stuff", in my opinion, is all pomegranate.
Here's the formula I typically follow...
- 1 24-ounce bottle of pomegranate juice (I typically use Pom Wonderful)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Place juices and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat down a bit to keep mixture gently bubbling. Keep an eye on it and adjust the temperature down as the liquid reduces if necessary. Cook it until it reduces to 1/2 - 1/3 the original volume, this may take about an hour.
- Allow to cool, bottle, label, and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
Pomegranate Syrup is fantastic in a number drinks, like:
- iced tea
- a slew of cocktails
- beer (really, it's called "Christmas Beer")
- various sodas