Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mexican Rice Soup


Mexican Rice Soup
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Pardon me for getting all Homer Simpson on you but ... mmmmmm ... avocaaaaadooooooo...

:::drools:::

I have the privilege of living in the avocado capital of the world. The World! Of course I love avocado. Who doesn't love avocado? Okay, there are two freaks that live on my street (we'll call them Mr. C and Big C) but I'm not talking to them. I'm talking to everyone else on this planet. Those of us that can appreciate the tasty, creamy, luscious goodness that only comes from a perfectly ripe avocado.

This is something for which I have a new appreciation. On my most recent trip to Denver, I witnessed firsthand the quality of avocados available there. Ew. All I gotta say is, I freakin' love living in San Diego. Y'all are missing out.

Needless to say, when I saw the article on avocados in the September 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times, I had high hopes. So a few days ago, I ventured into my backyard, plucked a few avocados from our tree, said a prayer of thanks to the fates that ordained I be born where avocados are so plentiful, and waited until my little beauties were ripe and ready.

Tonight's dinner highlights avocado in one of The Husband's favorite dishes: Mexican Rice Soup. He took one bite and proclaimed it, "Incredible!" After that it was all a blur. I must concur ... this recipe rocks. It's also relatively low-fat, or at least it has the potential to be, since it's broth-based and you can control how much avocado you put in it. Lastly, it's heat-variable since you add your own spice via your favorite hot sauce. I ate mine straight from the soup pot, The Husband doused his with hot sauce. Perfect!

If you are neither a Big C or Mr. C (haters!) and want to party like a San Diegan, follow these easy steps:

BROTH
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • 3 cups low-sodium veggie broth
  • 1 Tbs. grated lime zest
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
SOUP
  • 1/2 cup short-grain rice
  • 2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced (1 cup)
  • 1/3 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels 
  • 1 8-inch flour tortilla
  • 1 avocado, diced (1 cup)
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 6 lime wedges
  • Hot sauce for garnish (optional)
  1. To make broth: Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5-7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic, and saute 1 minute more. Add veggie broth, lime zest, oregano, and 3 cups water; cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes. Strain broth, discard solids, and return to saucepan.
  2. To make soup: Add rice to broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir in tomatoes and corn, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray four tortilla with cooking spray and cut into thin strips. Arrange strips on baking sheet, and bake 5-7 minutes, or until tortilla is crisp.
  4. Place diced avocado, green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and tortilla strips in small bowls. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with avocado, tortilla strips, green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if desired.

4 comments:

KL Grady said...

Things I shall miss when I leave San Diego:

1. Marni
2. Avocado in my food year-round
3. The weather

:(

Yum recipe, tho'.

jessy said...

yay yay yay! i'm superjealous that you live in the avocado capital of the world!!!! i wish i were there! :) next time i get an avocado you better believe i'm making your mexican rice soup. 'cause it looks most stellar - and that is most fantastical! superw00t!

Princesses -R- Us said...

That soup looks awesome! I love avocado and Mexican food is my favorite. :)
XOXO

Erin said...

Avocados...from the backyard?!? Awesome. In Florida avocados were everywhere, and cheap in season - under a dollar. I'm currently investigating the avocado situation in northern CA.

The soup looks delicious!