Sunday, August 24, 2008

Glazed Chocolate-Avocado Cupcakes

I've got a cold and don't know if I'll be up for a Sunday Night Dinner post tonight. So just in case, I'm posting these delicious cupcakes I made yesterday.

The recipe is from the September 2008 issue of Vegetarian TImes and it's definitely a winner. It employs avocado to replace the eggs, which works fantastic in chocolate recipes (as I learned from Chocolate of the Gods). They are moist, rich, and not too sweet.

Cupcakes:
  • 1 ½ cups all purpose flour (I used unbleached)
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¾ tsp baking soda
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • 1 avocado, pitted & peeled
  • 1 cup pure maple syrup
  • ¾ cup plain soymilk
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Glaze:
  • ¼ block silken tofu, drained & patted dry
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 4 oz semisweet vegan chocolate chips, melted
  1. To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Puree avocado in food processor until smooth. Add maple syrup, soymilk, oil, and vanilla and blend until creamy. Whisk avocado mixture into flour mixture.
  2. Spoon batter into prepared cupcake cups. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out with some crumbs attached. Cool.
  3. To make glaze: Blend tofu, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in food processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl. Dip tops of cupcakes in glaze, pulling straight up from glaze to form peaks.
There was lots of leftover glaze.  It didn't last long, but I'm thinking next time could serve double-duty as a glaze and filling.

Speaking of cupcakes, last weekend I made the red velvet and low-fat vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I took them to a weekend spiritual retreat to share with a bunch of omnis. I had every intention of taking pics of them, but the weekend went by in a flash and before I knew it, they were but a distant memory. I got nothing but positive feedback on them, though. VCTOTW is a new book for me, and I can't wait to explore it further.

14 comments:

KL Grady said...

Yum! These look great.

I'm comin' over!

Princesses -R- Us said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marni said...

KL - Ok. :) Or I can save one for you.

Princesses -R- Us said...

Big C tried your yummy cupcakes tonight and said they were delicious! So good he didn't even save me a bite. lol That's such a compliment coming from a meat lover that hates avocado. lol
XOXO
Cindy

Marni said...

Cindy - I can't believe The Husband only gave him one cupcake. One? I've got one for you. If I see you today, I'll throw it your way. Either way, I'm happy Big C liked it.

Jonah said...

Dude. Those look even better than the red velvet cupcakes. Mmmmm.

Marni said...

Jonah - Thanks, homey! They are rockin'! You and your roomie should make some. Or if not, mayhaps I can have some ready the next time we get together. They'd be great grounding food for post-astral, methinks.

jessy said...

those cuppies look sooooo good! i had no idea you could use avocado in place of eggs. BRILLIANT! :) and red velvet cuppycakes sound just as glorious, too! mmmmmmmm! now i want to make cuppies!

Princesses -R- Us said...

All I have to say is THANK YOU!!! That cupcake was delicious! It was better than any cupcake I've ever had! You sure know how to cook Marni. I hope you're still working on your vegan bakery! I know I'll be visiting often.
XOXO
Cindy

ButterflySunshine said...

Thanks for typing up this recipe! I just made these tonight (also found them in the mag) and can't find them on the VegTimes website :( They were delicious! I used the glaze as a filling and it was good. Next time I'm going to try making some Vegan Ice Cream to go with them... :)

Erin said...

Scrumptious! Avocado is good in everything, these are proof.

Marni said...

butterflysunshine - You're welcome! I think they wait to add the recipes from the current issue to the website 'til the following issue comes out. The recipe will probably appear on the website in the next few weeks. These would be fab with ice cream, too! Yum...

Lena said...

I made these over the weekend using extra glaze as filling, and they were fantastic! Thank you for sharing the recipe. My friends also loved them, and a few said they were the best cupcakes they'd ever had!

I was feeling really indulgent when I made them, so I warmed one up in the microwave (which made it even chocolaty-er), topped it with ice cream, and ate it right in the bowl I used to make the glaze! Needless to say, I only did that once. ;)

Marni said...

Lena - Hooray! I'm so happy you tried and liked the recipe. And your cupcake/ice cream/glaze bowl decadence sounds awesome.