Saturday, July 5, 2008

Lemon Corn Waffles


Lemon Corn Waffles ...
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
I was cleaning out the cupboard a couple weeks ago and "found" and brand new, in-the-box, retro style waffle maker. Sweet! Although, I had no idea where it came from. Since I'm not in the habit of finding random kitchen appliances in my home, I quizzed The Husband about it.

"Don't you remember, you won that in a raffle somewhere a looooong time ago?"

Well no, I didn't remember and I still don't, but I'll take it! I will not forsake the gifts of The Waffle Iron Faery. Ever since that day, I've been eager to try it out. So when Corn Week came along, I thought maybe ... just maybe ... someone's crafted a waffle recipe employing cornmeal. I began thumbing my vegan cookbooks and sure as shizzle, Isa Chandra Moskowitz swopped in to my rescue, straight from the pages of Vegan with a Vengeance.

This morning, I made the Lemon Corn Waffles with Blueberry Sauce and Macadamia Crème.

Great Odin's Raven, these babies are good! The lemon perfectly compliments the flavor of the cornmeal, which adds a fun texture to the waffles. They are crunchy on the outside while soft on the inside, just like a good waffle should be. They'd be fantastic straight from the waffle iron and completely unadorned.

But did I stop there? Hell to the no!

Topped with the Blueberry Sauce and Macadamia Crème they are just out of this world. The sort of meal that begs to be eaten slowly and in virtual silence but for the "mmmmmm"s and sighs. A really substantial and satisfying plate of food perfect for the morning after a late night of debauchery like the one we maybe had last night.  Maybe.  If I shared that sort of thing.  Which I don't.  So ... moving on.

I won't post the waffle and blueberry sauce recipes because every vegan worth their salt owns or should own VwaV. If you're new to the game or you just haven't had time to pick it up don't fret, you can find the recipes posted here and here.  But seriously, get thee hence to the nearest non-corporate bookstore and buy yourself a copy!

The Macadamia Crème goes together thusly:
  • 1/2 cup roasted macadamias, unsalted (if you can't find them unsalted, just rinse the salt off and pat them dry or you can always get all Martha Stewart and roast your own)
  • 1/4 cup soy milk (we used almond milk)
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  1. In a food processor or strong blender, pulverize the roasted macadamias to form a fine powder. Add the soy milk and blend to form a thick paste. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, and blend again. Add the oil in a steady stream while blending. The mixture will resemble a thick liquid. Transfer to a container with a tight lid or a bowl covered in plastic wrap, and chill for several hours, preferably overnight.
I biffed on that last directive and didn't make the crème 'til this morning. So, I just stuck it in the freezer while I made the Blueberry Sauce and Lemon Corn Waffles and everything worked out perfect.

We have leftovers from both sauces and I've got what I hope will prove to be a most excellent idea on how to use them. If it works out, I'll post the results.

Suggested musical accompaniment: Waffle House Woman by Lew Jetton & 61 South

7 comments:

Shellyfish said...

Damn! I need to start finding random kitchen gadgets, especially a waffle iron! I have wanted to make those babies in VWAV since forever, but I am ironless... and I agree, everyone should have VWAV, it's just the bees' knees!

Maureen said...

Wow wow wow... first of all, what a totally random find, and second of all, what a delicious-looking dish! I'm from the school of thought that says waffles can be eaten for all meals of the day... I'd love to make this recipe soon.

Marni said...

Shellyfish - I wish I could say that sort of thing happens to me all the time, but sadly, it doesn't. If it did, I'd love to find me one of those fancy Kitchen Aide stand mixers, next! ... Bees' knees. That's cute. :)

Maureen - You and I belong to the same school of thought. I love waffles! We used to live walking distance from a most excellent waffle house. It was quite dangerous. I hope you get to try this recipe soon!

jessy said...

i wish i would find awesome things in my kitchen! yay! i have yet to make the lemon corn waffles - and i think it's about time i did! the macadamia crème sounds heavenly. i'm so putting macadamias on my grocery list for next week.

thanks, Marni!

Lew Jetton said...

I've got my waffle iron heating up and headed to the store for some macadamias! Dang, that sounds yummy!!!! Thanks!

Marni said...

Jessy - I think it's about time you tried these babies, too! I've been thinking about them ever since we had them Saturday morning.

Lew Jetton - They were great and we really did listen to Waffle House Woman when we ate them! Rockin' song! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Erin said...

Bonus kitchen find! Sweet. I love the blueberry corn pancakes from VCON, I bet these are just as amazing.