Friday, June 13, 2008

Mac n' "Cheese" with Spinach

I tried the Mac and Cheese recipe from the June 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times again and this time, it was much better.

When I made it this past weekend, I followed the recipe exactly as it was printed with the exception of the last minute addition of miso to amp up the flavor. But I made it again for tonight's dinner with a couple changes.

First, I doubled the amount of pasta because the recipe makes plenty of sauce. Second, I added half a package of chopped, frozen spinach to the sauce a couple minutes before it was done. (I got this idea from the "Restaurant Recipes from VT" post dated June 8, 2008 over at Eat Air.)

Much better! Though I still think the flavor could be pumped up even more, we enjoyed tonight's version. Even my son ventured to eat some. Next time, I think I may try adding some sautéed shallots.

2 comments:

jessy said...

spinach in mac 'n cheese sounds glorious! and i think that adding in some shallots would boost the flavor even more - i agree! glad this turned out to be tasty! and let us know how it goes next time with those shallots! mmmmmmmmmmm! i need to make me some mac n' cheese, too. yay!

Erin said...

Well it LOOKS really good, even if it didn't taste like you hoped. I love green veggies in mac.