
Wild Rice Pilaf with Peas, Lemon Zest, and Tarragon
Slow Cooker Size: 3½ to 4 quart
Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours
Setting: Low
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 2/3 cup frozen baby peas, thawed (I used canned)
- juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves (I used dried)
- Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed shallots to slow cooker. Stir in the wild rice and stock, season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the brown rice, peas, lemon juice and zest, and tarragon. Taste to adjust the seasonings and serve.
I also added a tube of Lightlife Gimme Lean Ground Beef Style Veggie Protein for oomph, but I don't think it really needed it.
I doubled this recipe (I have a giant crock pot) and it came out fine. I plan on freezing and vacuum-packing half of it for later. The texture was good and the lemon flavor was really nice. My husband, who thinks just about everything is better wrapped in a tortilla, is planning on having Rice Pilaf Burritos for lunch tomorrow.
This recipe wasn't great, but it was good. We enjoyed it and it was very easy to make.
No comments:
Post a Comment