Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wild Rice Pilaf with Peas, Lemon Zest, and Tarragon

Today was a crock pot day. Yay! I made Wild Rice Pilaf with Peas, Lemon Zest, and Tarragon from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker:


Wild Rice Pilaf with Peas, Lemon Zest, and Tarragon

Slow Cooker Size: 3½ to 4 quart
Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours
Setting: Low
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 cup wild rice
  • 3 cups vegetable stock
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
  • 2/3 cup frozen baby peas, thawed (I used canned)
  • juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves (I used dried)

  1. Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

  2. Transfer the sautéed shallots to slow cooker. Stir in the wild rice and stock, season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.

  3. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the brown rice, peas, lemon juice and zest, and tarragon. Taste to adjust the seasonings and serve.

I also added a tube of Lightlife Gimme Lean Ground Beef Style Veggie Protein for oomph, but I don't think it really needed it.

I doubled this recipe (I have a giant crock pot) and it came out fine. I plan on freezing and vacuum-packing half of it for later. The texture was good and the lemon flavor was really nice. My husband, who thinks just about everything is better wrapped in a tortilla, is planning on having Rice Pilaf Burritos for lunch tomorrow.

This recipe wasn't great, but it was good. We enjoyed it and it was very easy to make.

No comments: