Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Vegan Mail Day

I love getting stuff in the mail. Not bills, of-course, but zines and books that I've ordered. Today was a good mail day.

For a few weeks I kept reading adoring references to some zine called HERBIVORE, but couldn't find it anywhere. Finally I wised up ... wose up? ... um ... got wise and looked them up online. Along with sweet vegan schwag like a t-shirt with an inverted pent shaped from forks with the words "Praise Seitan" on it, they have books and back issues of the zine. I purchased 5 issues: 1, 2, 6, 13, & 14. The zines are surprisingly slick for the price and what has to be small run size with great art and photos. I haven't had time to read more than one article, but it looks like I'm really going to enjoy my new zines.

Also in the mail came PETA's "Vegetarian Starter Kit" which is really just a 24-page magazine about going vegetarian. The use of the word kit was just clever marketing on PETA's part. What? Marketing and trickery from PETA? Say it ain't so.

I've got to say I'm not very impressed with it. At first glance, it looks like one of those trashy celeb mags that gets sued for slander every other week. There are vegetarian celebrities plastered all over the cover. More celebs can also be found on a 2-page spread inside with heart-warming quotes about how they totally don't eat like animals and stuff, okay?

I did spot an article inside about raising vegan kids and despite all indications that I shouldn't, I am looking forward to reading it. But, I'm most happy to have the issues of Herbivore to go through over the coming weeks before school starts again.

To reading!

No comments: