Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Day Dinner

Happy New Year!

We just finished dinner and as I type my husband's getting in unfair practice time with our new Wii game, Super Paper Mario. So, I'm making this fast because we have a Wii match date.

Our dinner consisted of Quinoa-Stuffed Cabbage Packages from Grub by Anna Lappe' and Bryant Terry.


This was my first time preparing and eating quinoa. We really liked these and they're just plain cute. Legend says each package you eat on New Year's Day brings you $1,000 in the New Year. Praise be to Holy Seitan, hubbie ate plenty.

Along with that I prepared Roasted Potatoes and Yams:


This was excellent. Well, it's kinda hard to screw up potatoes, right? I just pealed and chopped them up, tossed them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary from our garden, and roasted them in a 400 degree oven for about 50 minutes. Delish.

Along with that was Black-Eyes Peas and Chard with Soba Noodles from Robin Robertson's Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker:


It's not very pretty to look at, I know. And no, those aren't soba noodles. My local market didn't have them. The flavors in this dish were great, but I think it got overcooked. If I cook this again, I'll cut the time a bit. I chose it because of the black-eyed peas, which have been traditional New Year's Day eats in my family since I was a child. I believe they, like the stuffed cabbage packets, are supposed to bring prosperity in the New Year.


So that was dinner on our first day as "official" vegans. For dessert, we'll be having leftover Smlove Pie. Awwww yeah, baby!

The Manifesto I mentioned in Conjure Crafts yesterday is not yet ready for public consumption. I do have a strong draft, but I want to spend more time with it before making it public. It is a Manifesto, after all. A Vegan Manifesto. These things take time.

Happy New Year everyone! As my spiritual teacher says, to Love, Health, Prosperity, Knowledge, and Great Sex!

No comments: