Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day Eats

Happy New Year!

This is just a quick rundown of the food I prepared and enjoyed today. I don't know if I'll get to my resolutions post tonight, but I'll be sure to get it posted before this weekend is over.

We kicked off 2010 with bread pudding for breakfast. This recipe is one of our favorites and has garnered me a marriage proposal from a meat-loving omni. He's so dedicated to the consumption of meat, he sports a bacon tattoo on his shoulder and a sushi tatt on his forearm. But he loves it, despite it's vegan status, and we love it because it just rocks.

The recipe came to me after just a little tinkering and the desire to add texture to traditional bread puddings (that's where the topping comes in). It's a blueberry-banana bread pudding with a pecan-oat streusel topping drizzled in a warm and creamy lemon cashew sauce. The sauce isn't my recipe, though I did adjust it a bit. I got the sauce out of 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson.


New Year's Dinner 2010
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
The decadent bread pudding held us 'til dinner and I prepared a version of our New Year's Day traditional fare. We just finished big plates of toasted and steamed basmati rice topped with black-eyed peas, miso-baked tofu with a little liquid smoke thrown in for even more flavor, cornbread muffins, and red Swiss chard sautéed in Earth Balance with chopped pecans. So, so good!

Oh, and sorry about the flash photo, but it was totally dark by the time I got dinner on the table.

None of today's food was low-fat eating, but it was all vegan, homemade, mostly organic, and smack-yer-momma tasty. We're all so stuffed. Fat n' happy.

I'll be back soon to discuss my thoughts about and resolutions for 2010. I hope your New Year's Eve and New Year's Day was filled with good friends, big grins, great food, and happy surprises. May this coming year bring health and happiness to us all.

3 comments:

dreaminitvegan said...

I've never made bread pudding before and have always wanted to. Yours looks really delicious! I love the idea for breakfast

Debra said...

Looks great!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Blueberry banana bread pudding looks so good!