Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Barbeque! With cake!

We just wrapped up a fantastic weekend filled with lots of great food and fun with the family. This past Sunday, we celebrated both Mother’s Day and The Boy’s (belated) birthday.

My parental units decided they wanted to barbeque, so after a little brainstorming, I decided to make tofu n’ veggie kebabs. I filled each skewer with big hunks of locally grown zucchini, mushrooms, gorgeous Amorosa tomatoes, and tofu marinated in a homemade Cherry Barbeque Sauce. I got the sauce, which we also slathered on the other veggies while grilling, from this Vegetarian Times recipe. Delish! A wonderful balance of sweet and savory with a lovely kick from the cayenne pepper. The next time I make this sauce, I’ll make a double batch. It was so yummy, there wasn’t enough to go around.


Mother's Day Vegan BBQ
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
I also made a beautiful Grated Raw Beet with Jicama, Avocado, and Orange slaw, another Vegetarian Times recipe. It was outstanding with some really unique flavor notes. Crunchy, fresh, and the perfect side dish for any barbeque. I’ll definitely make this again, too!

We enjoyed our grilled kebabs slid off the skewer and onto some whole grain buns, which we also grilled. We topped all that with some sliced avocado and it was a little bit of heaven. Alongside our grilled kebab sammies was the lovely, pinky-red slaw and some killer, locally grown, grilled corn on the cob. So summery and so so good!

After we ate, we dove into The Boy’s birthday cake. I baked him the Lime Coconut Cake with Lime Coconut Buttahcreem Icing from Jae Steele’s awesome book, Get it Ripe. This was my first experience with this cake and it was definitely a winner. The cake, which was made with spelt flour, was super moist and dense deliciousness. The Lime Coconut Buttahcreem Icing was so incredibly tasty! I decided to try my hand at one of those rustic, drippy looking cakes and I think it turned out pretty well. I garnished it with more shredded coconut and some lime zest.

We served the cake along side some vegan vanilla ice cream that we topped with a homemade Lime Sauce. I just altered the recipe for Lemon Sauce from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. It was super easy, very pretty, and delicious on top of the ice cream. It really tied the flavors together with the cake.

A glorious and sunny, southern California day spent by the pool with family, good food, and a book. Perfection!

A note to my fellow bibliophiles: I’m currently reading and very much enjoying The Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those veggie kabobs look gorgeous and delicious! Thanks for making my mouth drool half hour before lunch. You should share your recipes on http://www.rawpeople.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C so that others may enjoy.

veggievixen said...

gorgeous cake!

dreaminitvegan said...

The coconut cake looks amazing! Must get that book.

jessy said...

hooray for a happy mother's day with your family & an awesome belated birthday celebration for your son! the barbeque sounds most glorious - tofu 'n veggie skewers, deeeelicious slaw, and an outta this world lime coconut cake (the lime coconut buttercream icing sounds absolutely heavenly!)! i love that you all put the veggies 'n tofu on buns and made it all even more awesome with the avocado! mmmmmmmm! (and i need to make that cherry bbq sauce - it also sounds too damn good, Marni! yay!)

Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) said...

Mmmm, I love me some Mother's Day cake!!

Zoey said...

Oh my goodness, that food looks so good. I wish I was having kabobs for dinner now.

KL Grady said...

Dude, the ice cream is about to make sweet, green love to the Mother's Day cake!

The Cooking Lady said...

I am seriously drooling and wondering why I was not invited?! Hmmmmmmm