Monday, May 4, 2009

Mini Vanilla Birthday Cuppies

Last week I had the pleasure of baking up a couple dozen mini cupcakes for The Boy to take to school in honor of his birthday. It was so much fun! He picked out the colors for the tie-died cuppies and then carefully observed as I frosted them all. When I ran out of coloring, I decorated the rest of them with multi-colored sugar sprinkles.

The next day, I dropped him off at school with 2 dozen mini vanilla cupcakes, a bunch of juice boxes, and a stack of napkins. He was so excited and his classmates were super stoked when they found out they got to eat cuppies for their mid-morning snack. They even made a cute Happy Birthday sign for The Boy. It was all way too much fun. Since he's in preschool, this was the first time I was able to play the role of the cool mom who bakes good shit to eat and I gotta say, I liked it!

Also, I learned something really important: mini cuppies are dangerous. Their size makes them even harder to resist. What is it about things in miniature that makes them so alluring?

Anyhow, I used the recipe for basic vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and just reduced the baking time to about 13 minutes to accommodate the mini size. I frosted them with the killer vanilla buttercream recipe from the same book. These recipes never fail.

Winner, winner, chickpea dinner!

8 comments:

nora said...

beautiful! how do you do that tie-dye effect?

veggievixen said...

you are a winner. i love the swirly frosting.

dreaminitvegan said...

Those all look good. I was also wondering how you do the frosting with that tie-dye effect?

Sal said...

they're gorgeous.

Animal-Friendly said...

I love the 50-50 cupcake to frosting ratio! Even though I'm not the first to ask: how did you get the swirly effect on the frosting?

jessy said...

you are too damn awesome, Marni! i love it! and i love all your mini cuppies - they look glorious & cute & FANTASTICAL! i'm glad your son got to celebrate his bday with your stellar cuppies & take them to school to enjoy with his classmates! yay!

Erin said...

I though your post title said "Milli Vanilli" at first...I'm really tired right now I think...but they look great. Way to go cool mom!

Jeni Treehugger said...

They look super yummy! You are one cool mom!
:)
I like eating miniature things because they make me feel like a giant!