Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm am here.

Wowsers.  It's been a long time since I posted.  Sorry to disappear so suddenly like that and thanks to those of you who checked in on me while I was gone.  What happened?

Well...

As my regular readers know, I've been trying really hard to lose weight for quite a while.  I'm much larger than I'm comfortable being and as I get older, things are starting to hurt.  Oh my aching knees.  Yikes, my poor back.    

It occurred to me that I need to redefine my relationship with food if I was going to make any progress getting healthier, so I up and stopped blogging about food as an attempt to get inside my own head and parse out what I needed.  Admittedly, it took a bit longer than I expected.

Anyhow, I realized I needed three things:
  1. A form of exercise I can do at home, with my son in the same room.
  2. Camaraderie masked as competitive motivation.
  3. An eating plan that's not really a plan at all.  No counting, measuring, figuring points, calculating grams, none of that shit.
Wanna know what I came up with?

Well, first we had a big garage sale and The Husband and I used the money we made to purchase a Wii Fit.  So now, every afternoon I can be found in my living room, acting a fool with my son eagerly requesting that I play the running game or boxing game or whatever he's in the mood to watch.  Every day I do a minimum of one hour of cardio vascular exercise on the Wii.  If I have time, I also do strength training and yoga, but the aerobics always gets done first.  It's working out quite well (no pun intended) and I've got to say the Wii Fit is an extremely motivating little thing.  I love all the charts that clearly illustrate my progress for me.  I also love the motivation the little animated balance board provides, though I do find it a bit creepy at times.  Like when I fire it up first thing in the morning and it comments how early I'm up that day.  But there advantages to that as well.  For instance last week I was having a rather crappy birthday, and when I hopped on the Wii, I got exuberant birthday wishes complete with confetti.  Nice.  

Second, I devised a way to use my competitive nature as fuel to reach my goals.  The Husband and I challenged our neighbors to a "Biggest Loser Throwdown."  The four of us are working on losing weight and getting fit and we're using the friendly competition as motivation.  We feel accountable to each other because we weigh-in together every Sunday morning and we support each other through our slip-ups and, more often, successes.  They are the Red Team and we are the Blue Team.  So far, the Red Team has three wins and the Blue Team has two.

Third, I've figured out an eating plan that's not too structured and it seems to be working for me.  Each day, I eat nothing but fruit until midday.  For lunch I enjoy a large salad with beans or tofu and a low- or non-fat dressing.  I get my cooking fix in by creating delicious meals and most of them have been coming from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.  The recipes are delicious (we can't stop eating the roasted asparagus) and much, much lower in fat and calories than any other low-fat vegetarian or vegan cookbook I own.  On nights I don't have time or energy to cook, we've been eating Boca burgers with beans and veggies or some of Amy's Organics Low-Fat and Non-Fat soups.  When I need a "fix" I have a small bowl of organic kettle corn or, if I'm really feeling needy, a square of chocolate.  I've also drastically increased my water intake, which is easy to do when you work out, and cut my diet soda intake to one per day.

Wanna know what sort of progress I've made?  I hope so because I want to share!  

Since I started trying to lose weight at the first of the year I've lost at total of 32 pounds.  18.4 of those pounds were shed over the last 5 weeks as a result of our Biggest Loser Throwdown.  I'm so excited!  I feel like I'm finally making progress in an area I've struggled with for years.  And as I told some dear friends of mine recently, I used to diet and work out because I hated my body and now I do it because I love and appreciate my body.  What a difference that makes!

So, I'm ready to start blogging again but I'm sure the flavor of my content will change.  I'll post updates on our Biggest Loser Throwdown weigh-ins every Sunday or Monday so you can track my progress if you are at all interested in that.  I'll also share healthy recipes I find or create and there will probably be other changes, I just don't know what they'll be yet.  For now, however, I'm just happy to be back.

14 comments:

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Wow, Marni! Nice to see you back and a big congratulations on working toward your goals in such a balanced way. I look forward to hearing more as you get further along.

Alison said...

Wow! Congrats on the weight loss! I'm on a weight loss mission, too, but it's coming along so slowly. 30 lbs since September. I know, it's better than nothing. I really wish I had a friend to work out with, that would be the biggest help to me. I need someone to kick me in my big, fat ass and get me to the gym!

AutumnTao said...

Congrats on your successes! You deserve to feel great about your body and enjoy better health and an improved energy level. Keep it up mama! And P.S.- Allison- 30lbs is a lot of weight to lose, congrats to you also. And it's spring, the perfect time to start up the work outs and break the plateau. Keep it up ladies!

Alison said...

Oh, and by the way, we have a Wiifit, too. I think that has really helped me. It's not so much the exercise but the way it keeps track of my progress. There are days when I weigh myself and find that I've gained a pound or two, but overall, to see the line on my weight and BMI graphs going down is such a great feeling. I set small goals for myself, such as 2lb weight loss/wk, so they are easier to reach and that helps keep my positive.

jessy said...

oh, Marni - i'm so glad you're back! i missed you & your awesome posts!

congrats on feeling great and all the progress you've been making! i think it's so super stellar that you're exercising because you love your body and really appreciate it! i love that you're not counting and measuring foods and such - just go'n with what feels right for you & your body! about 3 years ago when i wanted to lose some weight i joined the weight watchers core program. i thought "it's no counting - awesome!" but i ended up becoming obsessed with what foods i ate and how much, and when i ate - and how many extra points i could use for "forbidden" foods and all that crap - it really messed with my head. to be honest, 3 years later i'm still trying to fix what weight watchers kinda did to my head. eek! anyways.....(got off track a little there. sorry!) what a great idea on both the WiiFit AND the Biggest Loser Throwdown! i love 'em both! and i would love, love, LOVE to read about your progress, healthy recipes, and all kinds of awesome that you'll be work'n on!

you just made my day, Marni! thanks! :D

Virginia said...

i love the wii fit!

allularpunk said...

welcome back! and wow! you've made such awesome progress :) congratulations on that and on learning to love your body - it really does go a long way in the road to being healthy.

lazysmurf said...

WOW! That is amazing progress in such a short time, you are really dedicated. I was doing so well with the wii fit and then I just stopped I have to get back into it.

Sara said...

It is amazing how when we feel good, and exercise, we end up losing more weight than when we're hating ourselves and forcing our asses on the treadmill or whatever.. I know that when I feel better about myself, I have a tendency to eat healthier and exercise more..which then perpetuate the feeling good part.. Congrats on the weight loss thus far!

Mihl said...

Welcome back and congrats on your weightloss! That's really impressive. Good luck with all of your goals

Erin said...

Congratulations Marni! 32 pounds in just over three months is more than great! Keep up the good work. I'm sure having a fun wii fit makes it easier :)

Zoey said...

Welcome back to the blogging world and belated Happy Birthday!!!

I am totally impressed by your weight loss success and I can't wait to see some of the healthy things you are cooking!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mz Marni...
I'm so proud of you! I'm sure you will do wonderfully! I know you, when you set your mind to something, it's full steam ahead!
The "nothing but fruit before noon" is fantastic! I've been doing it on & off for years(with my old, well worn copy of Fit for Life)and I always feel better during the "on" times. Amanda adopted it a few months ago and she feels much better too. Food combining should be easy for you, considering your vegan diet. You are already a very beautiful woman, this is just frosting!
Snaps to you sister!
B

Jeni Treehugger said...

YAY! Marni - I missed you.
32 pounds is AMAZING!! WooHooo! Well done you.

Wiifit sounds super fun and I'm a fan of "if it works....."

Good to see you back.