Friday, February 13, 2009

Cupcakes!

I baked a bevy of cupcakes for a birthday celebration this week. Five dozen, to be exact. This is both a good and bad thing. Good, because I'm trying to branch out a little with my baking - getting my name out there, testing recipes, etc. Bad because I ended up eating a few more cuppies than I probably should have.


Vegan Tie-Dye Cupcakes
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
I started with the recipe for Golden Vanilla Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and oomphed it up a bit adding some premium ingredients and swapping out some others. The frosting was the Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting from the same book colored as the birthday girl requested.

I made two types, both "Very Vanilla." The only difference between the two was the way I frosted them. The first batch received the tie-dye treatment, with fluffy swirls of pink, green, and purple sugary goodness.

The second batch was topped with a straight-up pink icing and edible pink glitter. Very girlie and exactly what the birthday girl wanted. I was happy to hear the positive reports roll in from the skeptics and kids alike. Hooray! More omnis primed for conversion. Soon, using vegan cupcakes as our proverbial carrot, we will lead humanity to live and eat with compassion and we really will take over the world!  Muhuhwahahaaaaaa......

Did I say that out loud. Heh ... moving on.

Right now, I'm happy the two-day cupcake frenzy is over even though it really was a lot of fun.

The Bummer:  I'm still trying to clean up all the powdered sugar dust coating everything in my kitchen. 

The Upshot: When the husband saw how much I was struggling through making batch after batch of buttercream frosting with a hand mixer, he promised me a stand mixer when the tax return cometh.

Schweet!

19 comments:

Courtney said...

Your cupcakes are beautiful!

Courtney

dreaminitvegan said...

My son is loving the tye-dyed frosting. It does look pretty cool.

Princess-R-Us said...

Marni, they were amazing and thank you, thank you, thank you!!! xoxo

Ricki said...

Those tie-dye cuppers are just gorgeous! In fact, just give me the frosting--who needs the cake? ;)

Jeni Treehugger said...

Ha ha - schweet indeed.
I LOVE the tie dye cuppies and I'm just a sucker for glitter - even pink glitter.

Mandee said...

Great looking icing! And hooray for new mixers, my KitchenAid definitely improved my life :)

The Cooking Lady said...

My daughter had purchased a vegan cupcake cookbook with some of her Christmas money, and so we have been tortured by all of her experiments.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

veggievixen said...

aww they are so cute! i love the ones with swirly colored icing/frosting.

Bethany said...

I love how they are decorated. very pretty.

that's putting your tax return to good use, a stand mixer makes frosting making much easier - though I still make a powdered sugar mess.

allularpunk said...

oooooh lucky you! a stand mixer! your cupcakes look totally rad, marni. i don't understand how you did those colored swirls in the frosting of the first ones, but...they look super cool!

Marni said...

Thanks everyone! The cuppies with tie-dyed frosting were my favorite as well.

Sal said...

ok how on earth did you do that fabulous tye die frosting?? tell me please!!

I love the pink glitter too - adorable!

jessy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessy said...

Marni, you're the best! ooooh my word - those cuppers! mmmmmmmmm! i especially love the sparkly pink ones (and the tie-dye ones are so bad ass!)! your photos are GORGEOUS!

that's a lot of cupcakes - a two-day cupcake frenzy! you rock so hard! hooray for a stand mixer coming soon! wahooooooooo!

zlamushka said...

Lovely cupcakes :-)
Yums, love sweeeet food (especially when it is not so unhealthy like yours :-) I have been vegan for two years and then somehow went off track. Now I am in the first third of my 21-day vegan challenge and am loving it :-) feel so much better. Great to see this many people blogging vegan,. you guys are a great inspiration to me :-)

Earthlove. said...

Wow these look amazing.

Jeni Treehugger said...

How are you? Where are you?
Hope you're OK.
xx

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

Those cupcakes are beautiful. I never have the patience to make the butter cream frosting look pretty so I just slather some on there. After seeing how nice yours turned out, I may put in a little effort next time.

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色