Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tropical Tuile Taco

This month’s challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


I love being a Daring Baker. I really do. But January's challenge threw me for a loop. I'd heard of tuiles before, but never tried to bake them. They seemed easy enough so despite my better judgement, I waited 'til the last day to give 'em a go.

Big. Mistake.

Again.

Will I ever learn?

I decided to use the recipe for Vegan Tuiles from Vegan Yum Yum because I'm so not about reinventing the wheel. My first batch, which I hastily threw together just hours before I was due at the dentist, was a disaster. I think the fact that I used turbinado sugar rather than granulated sugar was a big factor.

Keep in mind, this is The Day the postings for this challenge were due. So then, I told myself I'd work on another batch after I returned from the dentist. You know, fresh from a lovely session of root planing. :::insert maniacal laughter here:::

I'm sure you can all guess how that well-intentioned plan panned out.

Days later, after two more batches, I finally got it right. Or, at least "right enough" to post my completed project.


Tropical Tuile Taco
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
I fashioned my tuiles into taco shapes, draping them while still hot over the edge of a flask-shaped bottle. Later, I filled them with homemade, vegan Tropical Pina Colada Ice Cream (follow the link for Julie Hasson's recipe and an Everyday Dish TV video), and garnished them with coconut and fresh kiwi.

They tasted great but they were damn hard for me. I'm pissy that they were so easy for everyone else and feel like a culinary dolt for having issues with them.

So, now I'm going to backdate this post, hope nobody really reads it, skulk for a bit and start planning ahead for February's challenge.

La Vegan Loca out.

4 comments:

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Those are really pretty and so creative!

Sorry about the dentist thing. Yuck.

Diana said...

Those are beautiful! I love food that looks like other food. So creative. I think as far as being easy goes, it's relative. The recipe itself was easy, but the execution was tough. I've been visiting a lot of DB blogs and most of us seem to have taken several tries to be satisfied.

Bex said...

They look great. My first batch was complete crap. I ended up going in a different direction (I didn't have enough Earth Balance for another batch).

Hannah said...

Aw, I'm sorry they didn't go your way at first, but it's more important that you didn't give up and eventually achieved lovely tuiles! I wouldn't be embarrassed at all, you did a great job. :)