- BETTER PHOTOS I'm working on this one. I think I'm getting better. I'm more aware of the light I'm shooting my food in and I'd like to start concentrating more on diverse settings and backgrounds, as well.
- ORIGINAL RECIPES Yes! I think I'm rockin' this one. I've posted lots of original recipes already and, as promised, have stopped regurgitating published recipes as blog fodder.
- QUALITY NOT QUANTITY Awesome. I've stopped pressuring myself to post something every day and I think my blog has improved for it. My stress level has also decreased.
- THEME WEEKS & MOONSHINE MONDAYS I had a great theme week last month (Healthy Resolutions: January 12 - 18, 2009) and a new topic planned for February. I need to work on being more consistent with Moonshine Monday posts, though.
- NUTRITIONAL INFO I'm getting better at learning how to calculate the nutritional info for recipes and was really good about posting it during Healthy Resolutions Week. I think I've slacked a little since then, so I need to get back to that.
- RECIPE CONTESTS & PUBLICATION I've successfully entered one recipe contest and had one misfire (missed the deadline). I'm currently working on my third attempt and I'm also talking with an editor of a website that I might have the opportunity to write for at some point in the future.
- A COOKBOOK Hmmm ... work on the cookbook has stalled out. I'll be sure to have something positive to report on this one next month.
- ORGANIZE MY RECIPES This is very slow going because I have so many! I've gathered them all to a central location and worked out an organization system. Much progress has been made here as I tend to work on it a little almost every day. Perhaps next time I'll show pics of how I'm organizing them all.
- STREAMLINE MY KITCHEN Unfortunately, I feel like I need a bit of money for this one and we don't have much extra cash floating around right now. I'll need to get real creative to show some progress on this goal.
- Though I haven't bought any tea yet, I have purchased a couple of really cool Steeping Mugs for myself and The Husband from The Tea Spot. I grabbed them a few weeks ago when I saw they had gone on sale at my local market. They're plenty big, each holding 16 ounces. In addition, they each have a built-in basket with lots of room to hold loose tea with a lid to keep the heat in while steeping. One of the coolest features is that the basket fits perfectly inside the lid when you're ready to drink your tea. I can't wait to try these babies out.
- WHAT'S IN SEASON I've brought back this column. It's on the right sidebar and I love having it there to remind me of all the great produce I can get locally grown at any given moment.
- It's not quite time to start planting things yet, but I have been planning quite a few items I'd like to add to my garden this year. Also, during a recent trip to a local farmer's market, I replaced my poor thyme plant. It fell victim to a freak frost we had a couple months ago. This is San Diego. We don't really get frosts here. I wasn't prepared. Anyhow, I'm more aware of the possibility of frosts now and my new thyme plant is currently residing in my kitchen window until it's ready to venture outside.
- SHARE THE LOCA LIGHT So far, I'm only brainstorming here. I hope to have something new to report very soon.
- DIVERSIFY MY POSTS I've dipped my big toe into this pool, having written recently about the wonders of water, weight-loss tips, and a brief op-ed piece on a skanky PETA commercial that (thankfully) never aired on TV. I feel like I'm moving in the right direction with this one.
- DIY CULINARY SCHOOL I've worked out how I'd like to begin this process and will be posting about my plans some time within the next month.
Friday, February 6, 2009
I listed a hefty set of resolutions for myself and this blog at the beginning of the year. It's my intention to check in with myself, as a way of making a run at accountability, once per month. So, here's goes my first roundup...