Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holiday Granola


Holiday Granola
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Continuing with the current theme, today I sat down and made my shopping list for the rest of the supplies required for brunch this weekend. However, by the time I was done it was raining so hard I didn't want to leave the house. We San Diegans don't drive well in the rain. We don't get much practice!

So I ended up making several batches of granola instead. This is a great activity for a cold and rainy day for several reasons. First, it takes a long time. The granola crisps up in the oven at a low temperature for over an hour per batch and must be tossed for even browning every 15 minutes or so. Second, it makes the house smell fantastic, which rocks no matter what the weather is like but seems extra lovely when it's nasty outside. And finally, it keeps the oven on a long time, which helps make the house toasty.

So I enjoyed a leisurely day making granola for holiday gifts and dreamed up a new muffin recipe that I'll probably try sometime in the next couple days. My holiday granola is a bit different every year, though I work off a master recipe that I hold close to my chest because it took me so long to figure out the perfect formula. My 2008 holiday granola has almonds, pistachios, and sweetened, dried cranberries. Delish!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

sounds festive. I love cranberries and granola. I'm betting it would be yummy on top of oatmeal.

you're getting the seattle rain and we (seattle) are getting tons of snow (I have more than a foot now).

Jeni Treehugger said...

It does sound delish and I LOVE the presentation.
:)

jessy said...

ooooo! that's what i've been meaning to make - granola! yay! your looks especially delicious! i love when the house smells yummy - makes the crappy weather seem less crappy! ;)