Friday, December 19, 2008

The Cookies Are Baked!

Today I knocked another item off my list of things to do and baked all the cut-out cookies I'm taking to the cookie party tomorrow night. I used the recipes for Sugar Cookies and Gingerbread Cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I was impressed with both recipes but especially impressed with the gingerbread cookies! Too often, gingerbread cookies come out teeth-shattering hard. But not these, they are chewy and soft with lots of spice.


Rolling Cookie Dough
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
While I'm talking about cookies, I thought I'd pass a long a little trick I use to ensure I roll perfectly thick dough. In this picture, you can see I've got my dough resting between two sticks. These are standard dowels that you can purchase at nearly any crafting or hardware store. They come in various sizes and I keep 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch dowels in my kitchen just for this purpose. They are extremely cheap, easy to clean, and easy to store. Just place one on either side of your dough and roll until your rolling pin is resting on the dowels. Easy! And perfect results every time.

So I baked two batches of sugar cookies and one batch of gingerbread cookies. I had fun breaking out all my cookie cutters and the house smells absolutely heavenly. I'll have fun decorating all these cookies at the cookie decorating party I'm going to tomorrow. Wow. I feel so ... prepared n' stuff. I like it!

To Do List for Cookie Decorating Party
  • bake cookies
  • prepare icing in lots of colors
  • decorate 'em!
To Do List for Winter Solstice Brunch
  • Sweet Potato Waffles with Maple Cream
  • Mac n' "Cheese"
  • Baked Apples
  • Toasted Brown Rice Tea
  • Winter Solstice Cocktail
I'll be posting and begin working on my To Do List for Christmas Dinner very soon.  Tomorrow, I'll be doing final prep work for my Winter Solstice Brunch.

1 comment:

jessy said...

using dowels = shear brilliance, Marni! i have totally gotta try that! you're too awesome & think of all the things i would never have thought of! ;) hooray for cookies and more planning ahead. last week i baked a lot in preparation for the holidays, too - felt good doing a lot ahead of time & stocking up my freezer with goodies. totally going to make the holidays less stressful - so thanks & three cheers to planning! yay!