Cranberry Liqueur
Recipe adapted from Cordials from Your Kitchen by Pattie Vargas & Rich Gulling
Next Moonshine Monday, I'll cover what to do at the end of the first month, but this should get you started.
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries (about 3 1/2 cups), picked over and washed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups 80-proof vodka
- 2 teaspoons tart citrus zest (lemon, lime, or grapefruit)
- Pulse the cranberries a couple times in your food processor (or blender) until coarsely chopped and dump 'em in your clean, half-gallon mason jar. Add the sugar, stir, and let stand about an hour. Add the water, vodka, and zest. Cover jar with a couple layers of cling wrap, screw lid on top, and give it a good shake. Write instructions along with all applicable dates on a paper and tape it to the outside of the jar.
- Store liqueur in cool, dry place (like a pantry or closet) and over the next month, shake every 2 or 3 days to prevent clumping and redistribute ingredients.
Next Moonshine Monday, I'll cover what to do at the end of the first month, but this should get you started.

6 comments:
I love cranberries, this is too cool.
Hi Marni,
I almost didn't read this post because I have never considered making my own flavored alcohol. But you had me at cranberries! Now that is some vodka I could get excited about. I will pick some up this weekend and be looking forward to your future directions.
i think this is what i'm going to make my family for christmas, seriously. i'm low on cash, and this seems like something they would all like! thank you for the method!
that's some delicious look'n cranberry booze of awesomeness! thanks, Marni! i'm totally going to have to try this and give some to my momma. she looooooves vodka + cranberries - so this would be perfect! now i just need to get some bigger mason jars! squeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Oh lordy this sounds amazing. I've never really considered making my own liquor, but I think I might give it a try someday. I think you should do this EVERY Monday, not just for this month but forever. Pretty please?
Bex - Me too! Thanks.
Zoey - Hooray! I hope you give it a try.
Allularpunk - I'm low on cash, too. Aren't we all right now? Everyone I know is getting homemade gifts from us this holiday season. I think it's more personal that way, anyway.
Jessy - Good luck with this! I bet you'll love it. I get my mason jars as the local tack and feed store but you can get them at country and general stores. I've even seen them in grocery stores, but I'm not sure I've seen the big jars there. You can also use repurposed giant pickle jars, just be sure to clean them out real good and use plastic wrap between the jar and lid.
Allicia - Moonshine Mondays, a regular feature? Ha! Maybe I will. I really do make liqueurs and vodka infusions year-round. I totally could do a different flavor each month. :::grin::: We'll see how people like this one. Give it a try! It's easy and fun and the results are ... well, booze! :)
Post a Comment