Monday, October 13, 2008

MoFo 13: Moonshine Monday II

I was up in the air as to what flavor liqueur I would use to introduce the whole liqueur-making process. I knew it'd have to be an easy recipe made from something in season that would make for good holiday gifts. When I saw some gorgeous cranberries in the market the other day, I knew they were perfect.

Cranberry Liqueur
Recipe adapted from Cordials from Your Kitchen by Pattie Vargas & Rich Gulling
  • 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries (about 3 1/2 cups), picked over and washed
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups 80-proof vodka
  • 2 teaspoons tart citrus zest (lemon, lime, or grapefruit)
  1. Pulse the cranberries a couple times in your food processor (or blender) until coarsely chopped and dump 'em in your clean, half-gallon mason jar. Add the sugar, stir, and let stand about an hour. Add the water, vodka, and zest. Cover jar with a couple layers of cling wrap, screw lid on top, and give it a good shake. Write instructions along with all applicable dates on a paper and tape it to the outside of the jar.
  2. Store liqueur in cool, dry place (like a pantry or closet) and over the next month, shake every 2 or 3 days to prevent clumping and redistribute ingredients.
This recipe produces a lovely liqueur with a beautiful color. You can drink it straight or make all sorts of drinks with it, including some awesome cranberry martinis. If you are going to give your liqueur as a gifts, start looking for bottles to repackage it in when the time is right. You don't have to buy them, all sorts of bottle can be repurposed for pretty gift-giving presentations.

Next Moonshine Monday, I'll cover what to do at the end of the first month, but this should get you started.

6 comments:

Bex said...

I love cranberries, this is too cool.

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

I almost didn't read this post because I have never considered making my own flavored alcohol. But you had me at cranberries! Now that is some vodka I could get excited about. I will pick some up this weekend and be looking forward to your future directions.

allularpunk said...

i think this is what i'm going to make my family for christmas, seriously. i'm low on cash, and this seems like something they would all like! thank you for the method!

jessy said...

that's some delicious look'n cranberry booze of awesomeness! thanks, Marni! i'm totally going to have to try this and give some to my momma. she looooooves vodka + cranberries - so this would be perfect! now i just need to get some bigger mason jars! squeeeeeeeeeeeee!

allicia said...

Oh lordy this sounds amazing. I've never really considered making my own liquor, but I think I might give it a try someday. I think you should do this EVERY Monday, not just for this month but forever. Pretty please?

Marni said...

Bex - Me too! Thanks.

Zoey - Hooray! I hope you give it a try.

Allularpunk - I'm low on cash, too. Aren't we all right now? Everyone I know is getting homemade gifts from us this holiday season. I think it's more personal that way, anyway.

Jessy - Good luck with this! I bet you'll love it. I get my mason jars as the local tack and feed store but you can get them at country and general stores. I've even seen them in grocery stores, but I'm not sure I've seen the big jars there. You can also use repurposed giant pickle jars, just be sure to clean them out real good and use plastic wrap between the jar and lid.

Allicia - Moonshine Mondays, a regular feature? Ha! Maybe I will. I really do make liqueurs and vodka infusions year-round. I totally could do a different flavor each month. :::grin::: We'll see how people like this one. Give it a try! It's easy and fun and the results are ... well, booze! :)