Saturday, October 18, 2008

MoFo 18: Freezing Homemade Veggie Burgers

When you're working on putting food by for later, it pays to plan ahead. Since I know I'm making homemade veggie neatballs for Sunday Night Dinner tomorrow, I decided to make a double batch and form burgers from the other half.

I started with Spicy Autumn Veggie Burger mix. I then rolled my neatballs and got them in the oven. While they were cooking, I formed veggie burgers from the rest of the mix. I placed them on individual squares of wax paper, laid them on a half-sheet pan, and stuck them in the freezer. Once they were frozen, I stacked them and placed in a marked freezer bag.

Just about any vegan burger can be frozen for later. You basically have two options:
  1. Cook the burgers (or neatballs), wrap them, and store them for up to three months in the freezer. When you are ready to eat them, thaw them in the microwave or wrap them in foil and heat in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.  OR
  2. Make the mixture and shape into either burgers or neatballs. Pre-freeze (per above) before placing them in a freezer bag together. It'll take 24-36 hours for them to thaw in the fridge. Proceed with preferred cooking method.

6 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

I have to see if the library has this cookbook. Love the veggie burgers. Wow!

vegan addict said...

I use the same freezing methods for my veggie burgers too! I love being able to come home after work, tired and hungry, and pull a burger (and bun) from the freezer for a quick meal.

jessy said...

ahahahahaa - how come i never thought to use wax paper?! i love it! thanks, Marni! making extras to freeze is something i always forget about. now i can't wait to fill my freezer with homemade goodnesses! mmmmmmm!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Now this is a recipe I like the look of!!
I LOVE the colours!

Zoey said...

Hi Marni,

Your veggie burgers are beautiful. How do you get them shaped so perfectly?

Marni said...

Veg-A-Nut: It's a great book. It's probably my favorite cookbook right now.

Vegan Addict: Sweet! Great minds freeze veggie burgers alike ... er ... something like that. ;)

Jessy: Ah! The wax paper makes all the difference in the world when you're trying to pry them apart to defrost one or two. That and freezing them individually before you stack them.

Jeni Treehugger: Seriously! Great recipes in this book.

Zoey: What's my secret for perfectly uniform and shapely burgers? Simple! First, I ensure they are all the same size by "measuring" the mix with an ice cream scooper. There are two scoops worth of mix in each burger. Then, I compress the mix into a kind-of ball, and press them with one of those plastic patty press thingies. You can get them in the gadget section of any good kitchen or cooking store for a few dollars. I think I paid $4 for mine. Hope that helps! :)