Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Quest for the Green Grail


Green Smoothie
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
This morning I began my search for a perfectly palatable green smoothie. I started with this recipe, and modified it only slightly. I have certain guidelines I'm trying to stick to. They are:
  1. Must contain actual green produce of the leafy variety (i.e. while a smoothie built around matcha would indeed be green in color, it's not what I'm going for).
  2. Must not call for fruit juice. Whole fruit only.
  3. Must be healthy and substantial enough to replace a meal.
  4. Must not taste like ass. 
Here's what went into the blender this morning:
  • 1 banana
  • 2 handfuls baby spinach
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1 scoop rice protein powder (I used NutriBiotic's Vegan Rice Protein)
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax
  • 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (which was added only after I tasted it ... ick)
While I'm able to drink it, I'm not jumping up and down about it. Part of the problem is the raspberry seeds, which I had forgotten how much I loath. But, it's a good start. Next time, I may try something quite similar with a different frozen fruit.

If anyone has a green smoothie recipe they absolutely love, please send it my way. I will continue to search and blend and nosh and experiment until I find a recipe that I love. This, I do swear.

6 comments:

jessy said...

i dislike those damn raspberry seeds, too! they just make the whole smoothie a little weird - and well, "seedy". eek! i love your guidelines, Marni! and i agree - no juice, and no tasting like ass! ahahahaha! yay!

what i used to do for my green smoothies:
1 banana
1-2 handfuls of spinach
1 mango, pear, or some pineapple
a little water (i bet rice milk would be tasty, too)
a little agave necter
ice
then just blend well & enjoy.

now if you want to get fancy you can try this (i looooove this one):
buy a young coconut and blend together the "meat", the coconut water, 2 chopped dates, 1 banana, & 1/4 a cup of raw cashews. this will make enough mix for 3 smoothies.
take 1/3 of your mix and combine in it in a blender with a big handful of spinach, a pear, and a little water. mmmmmmmmmm! that's my fav! :D

green smoothies are so much fun to make, sooooo good for you, and sooooo yummah! let me know what you come up with 'cause i want to try it, too! :D

Marni said...

Thanks so much for sharing this with me, Jessy! I'm going to give it a whirl and let you know how it goes.

Your fancy smoothie sounds delish. Coconut, dates, a nanner, and cashews? That's some serious pillow talk right there. :)

I'm currently on a smoothie kick because it's so damn hot here. As I type the outside temp is somewhere in the 90s! (Ugh!) Expect to see lots of smoothie posts from me in the near future.

KL Grady said...

I may be able to help you out on the frozen berry front. I have that big Costco bag in my freezer that I meant to make a yum dessert from and never got around to it. It's yours with blessings from the Freezer Fairy.

Marni said...

Oh gods ... the Freezer Fairy cometh! :D

Samantha said...

I'm here for you!

1 green apple
1 banana
1 big handful frozen pineapple
2 handfuls spinach

agave nectar, a bit of water, and a small handful of ice. This is also really good with some vanilla yogurt or blueberries in it.

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Ahaha!! Stipulation number four made me laugh :-)