Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
A couple nights ago, my well-stocked pantry saved my life.

I know what you're thinking. C'mon Marni, your life? Aren't you being a little dramatic?

To which I can only answer, it was 10:30pm, I was premenstrual, and someone said, "cookie," in my presence.

See? Not dramatic at all. It really did save my life. Perhaps the life of my well-meaning husband as well. But I digress.

So I grabbed The Joy of Vegan Baking off my shelf and started pulling things from my cabinet. I didn't even have all the ingredients, but the recipe survived a major substitution and we had fresh cookies about 30 minutes later.

Follow these easy steps and you can experience sweet and warm oat-y deliciousness too!
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup non-hydrogenated, vegan butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purposed flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ (the original recipe called for oat bran, but we didn't have any)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3 cups rolled oats (not the quick-cook kind)
  • 1 cup raisins
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 3 cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
  2. In a blender or food processor, whip together the flaxseed and water until thick and creamy. The consistency will be somewhat gelatinous. By hand or using an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and flaxseed mixture, until well blended.
  3. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, wheat germ (oat bran), baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well blended and smooth. Stir in the rolled oats and raisins until thoroughly combined.
  4. Use a tablespoon to scoop up some dough (we used a cookie dough scoop) and, with lightly greased hands, lightly press the cookies to form 1/2-inch thick rounds (we didn't find this step necessary). Bake until the cookies are golden grown, 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to firm up for a few minutes while still on the cookie sheet. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen delicious cookies ... for real!

What a great recipe! We ended up sharing our mountain of cookies with several friends and got rave reviews from everyone. The Joy of Vegan Baking should be on everyone's shelf. The recipes rock and the information on vegan baking substitutions is awesome.

3 comments:

jessy said...

those cookies look perfect, Marni! i'm glad i'm not the only one who gets sweets cravings when sweets are mentioned. if i'm pmsing - oh hell, it's nuts! i either want cookies, popcorn with a ridiculous amount of sea salt, or cupcakes. and i usually want the cookies. i have yet to make oatmeal raisin cookies, which is kinda funny to me because when i see vegan cookies i totally get the oatmeal raisins ones. mmmmmmmmm! i'm gonna have to make my own now! w00t!

Marni said...

Mmmm ... popcorn. That sounds fab. I make great garlic popcorn. I may have to send The Husband on an errand to get me supplies! :)

Make oatmeal raisin cookies, girl! Not only are they totally yummy, they make the tastiest cookie dough ever. If you're into that sort of thing. :::ehem:::

:::grin:::

Madhuram said...

I love that book. Recently I tried the chocolate chip cookies from that book with EnerG and it was so good.