Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer Squash n' Sprouted Corn Bread

Today is Bread Baking Day and the challenge for this month was to bake bread with sprouts. I was absolutely delighted when I saw this challenge as I've been wanting to try sprouting. I decided to think as far outside the box as I could with regard to sprouts and tried my hand at sprouting corn. You can read all about how I did that here.

I then took my lovely sprouts and crafted a corn bread recipe that seemed to fit with the season of summer.

Bread Baking Day #11 - one year anniversary: Bread with sprouts

Summer Squash n' Sprouted Corn Bread
  • 1 cup squash puree (see below)
  • 3/4 cup corn meal
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh corn
  • 1/4 cup sprouted corn
  • 1/4 cup corn or veggie oil
  • Vegan margarine (like Earth Balance) to dot the top
Squash Puree

My method for making squash puree is as follows:
  • 1 summer squash
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (like Earth Balance)
  1. Cook the squash using your preferred method.
  2. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into the bowl of your food processor. Add the other ingredients and puree. Adjust seasonings as needed.
This should make more than 1 cup so you'll have extra to play with.

Now you're ready to make your bread.
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
  2. Pour into a well-greased 8-inch cast iron skillet and dot the top with a bit of vegan margarine.  Bake for 40 minutes.
  3. Allow to cool a bit before slicing.
I really love this recipe. The squash keeps the bread moist and the sprouts give it a really interesting texture and tooth. They're like little chewy nuts throughout. They aren't for everyone, but I throughly enjoyed them.

I had the leftovers for breakfast, heated with some Earth Balance and agave nectar. A great start to any day.

Suggested musical accompaniment: Pen Cap Chew by Nirvana

8 comments:

jessy said...

i would have eaten all of that corn bread for breakfast. actually, i would have stuffed myself full for dinner, too! mmmmm! that's brilliant on using the squash - i love it, and i never would have thought to use it. and corn sprouts - hooray! i wondered what you were going to do with those little cuties.

now i need to get off my butt and sprout some kernels & seeds! i think i'm going to pick up some cheese cloth for my mason jars when i get some corn today at the store!

superw00t!

zorra said...

Wow, you did a great job. The out of the box thinking worths, isn'it?

Aparna said...

I like the texture and the sound of your bread. Did you sprout the corn yourself, just like other sprouts?

Madam Chow said...

We love cornbread around here - very creative use of sprouts!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

ostwestwind said...

Your bread looks gorgeous, I am hungry now!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Marni said...

Jessy - Try sprouting! It's so easy and it's just downright cool to watch the little babies come to life in your kitchen.

Zorra - Thanks! Yes, I love thinking outside the box. Most of the time, it pays off but no matter what, it's always fun!

Aparna - Yes, I sprouted the corn myself. You can read about how I did it here: http://laveganloca.blogspot.com/2008/06/corn-sprouts.html

Madam Chow - I love cornbread, too! It was fun to find a way to combine it with sprouts.

Ulrike - Thank you! This was a fun challenge.

Erin said...

Putting squash puree in a cornbread recipe is such a good idea! The flavor go perfectly together. And the corn sprouts, I'm so impressed. Very cool.

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色