Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread
Makes 3 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup organic powdered sugar or Veganized Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Put butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and zest. Mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, and the salt; mix until well combined, about 3 minutes. Halve dough; shape each into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until cold, at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place remaining 1/4 cup cornmeal on a baking sheet. Roll logs in cornmeal to coat. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (I used a serrated knife), and space rounds 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until pale golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on sheet on a wire rack. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
Suggested musical accompaniment: Shortbread City by The Tyde