Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread

Shortbread is one of my favorite things to bake. The delicate, buttery taste is like nothing else. So, when I saw a recipe for Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread in Martha Stewart's Cookies, I knew I had to veganize it and include it in Corn Week.

Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread
Makes 3 dozen
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
  • 3/4 cup organic powdered sugar or Veganized Powdered Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
  • 2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  1. Put butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and zest. Mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  2. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, and the salt; mix until well combined, about 3 minutes. Halve dough; shape each into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until cold, at least one hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place remaining 1/4 cup cornmeal on a baking sheet. Roll logs in cornmeal to coat. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (I used a serrated knife), and space rounds 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until pale golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on sheet on a wire rack. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
These cookies are awesome. The cornmeal around the edges adds an interesting texture to each bite. They beg to be eaten along with a large glass of sweet tea while taking in the sunset at the end of a hot summer day.

Suggested musical accompaniment:  Shortbread City by The Tyde

3 comments:

jessy said...

corn + shortbread = one hell of a glorious combination! wow. those look marvelously awesome, Marni! i think these could also be enjoyed with a mint julep or two. ;) hooray for corn week and all the goodies that go along with it! i'm love'n it all!

(and i bought some local corn today so i'm all set to make some yummy corn goodness, too! yay!)

Willa said...

It's like you're taunting me with your blasted Corn Week. Teh evilnsse.

Seriously, though, yum! I have a backlog of recipes of yours that I am going to make once I have, uh, the ability to do that. *vague mumblings and rantings here* These would go great with some horchata, too, I'm thinking. Mmmm. Horchata.

Corn. I so love corn. CORN FED! Yep, that's me.

This is what popped into my funky body/mind after reading this post:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375815996
Yeah, I'm certifiable.

Erin said...

Oh, that Martha has done it again. This sounds like a great cookie. I'm enjoying corn week :)