Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday Night Dinner


June 15, 2008
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Tonight's dinner was really more like a late lunch. We spent the day at my parent's celebrating Father's Day and my grandma's birthday. We swam for most of the afternoon, working up a good appetite. Then we cleaned up and had a rockin' meal.

On the plate is a veggie burger on a whole grain bun with sliced avocado from the tree in our backyard and homemade vegan burger sauce (recipe below). Moving clockwise is my favorite raw food recipe, Sweet Summer Corn and Squash. My whole family went bonkers for this. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should. Next to that is half a baked potato topped with more vegan burger sauce. Lastly is a salad of baby spinach and romaine topped with candied walnuts, mandarin oranges, blackberries, pears, and a perfectly tart grape vinaigrette.

Simply awesome. I'm so full.

In addition to that I made my first vegan pie - a massive blueberry pie with a homemade flaky crust. Recipe and pics of the pie coming soon. But for now, I leave you with a simple and tasty vegan burger sauce that I adapted from a recipe in the July/Aug 2008 issue of Cook's Illustrated.

Vegan Burger Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Vegenaise or other vegan mayo
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Great on burgers, sammies of all sorts, dippage for fries, and atop any type of spud I can think of.

Hope you had a great weekend! And now I retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love the idea of a burger sauce! Kind of like a certain fast food restaurant's special sauce. That meal looks good.