Friday, June 27, 2008

Blueberry Crisp


Vegan Blueberry Crisp
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Simplicity makes this Blueberry Crisp not only easy to make, but a pure pleasure to eat! The blueberries, in all their natural glory, play the starring role in this crisp with a perfectly crunchy and sweet topping. I adapted the recipe from The Martha Stewart Cookbook.

Yeah, I have Martha Stewart books. You have 30 seconds to laugh at me starting now.

***

Done? Good. Moving on...

Blueberry Crisp
  • 3/4 cup unbleached flour
  • 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance), chilled and cut into pieces
  • 5 cups fresh blueberries
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; blend in the butter with a food processor, pastry cutter, or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
  3. Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, add the blueberries, and sprinkle the crumb mixture over them. Bake about 20 minutes, until the top is browned and the juices are bubbling. Serve warm.

Vegan Blueberry Crisp
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
I only meant to photograph this and eat it later tonight with The Husband. Then, I took a bite and couldn't stop eating my little picturesque, single-serving dish. This is a winner!

5 comments:

jessy said...

i wouldn't have been able to contain myself with this blueberry crisp either! it looks so delicious, and the pictures look really great, too! and i can't make fun of the martha stewart, 'cause i totally have one of her cook books as well! :)

there are a TON of blackberries that grow out in the field behind our house. lately i've been picking a bunch while i let our dog run around out there. i'm gonna have to pick enough tomorrow to make your crisp with them (since i'm a weirdo and not the biggest fan of blueberries).

your crisp looks heavenly, Marni - and thanks for the recipe!

Marni said...

Thanks, Jessy! :)

I bet this would be fantastic with blackberries, or any dark berry, for that matter. If you end up making it, you'll have to let me know how it turns out.

As for Martha Stewart, I actually have a grip of her cookbooks. My mother doesn't cook and when I moved out and decided to teach myself how to cook, the Martha Stewart show and her books were where I started. I know most people make fun of her, but damn if her recipes don't rock the Casbah!

w00t!

jessy said...

Marni,

oh my awesomeness! i made your crisp today (the post is going up tomorrow morning, first thing). it was soooooooooooooooo good. i made 3 little dishes of it and i ate an entire dish (yes, on my own) for breakfast this morning. i think i inhaled it in about 2 minutes! it was that freak'n good! ;D

thanks for the recipe!

that's too funny on your martha story - 'cause when i first started cooking all i really knew was her site and allrecipes.com. i would spend hours searching martha's site. i prited off so many recipes and they were all really good! i like her style and i like that most of her recipes are pretty easy to veganize, too. so i'm with you - i say - yay for martha stewart! she really knows her $%&*! fo 'sho! :)

Marni said...

Yay! I'm so happy you made and liked the crisp and can't wait to read about how you altered it.

Let us proudly stand and be counted ... we like Martha Stewart recipes and we aren't ashamed to admit it.

:::happy dance:::

Erin said...

Beautiful. Berry crisps are one of the best parts of summer.

I don't have any Martha Stewart, but I do refer to my Betty Crocker cookbook whenever I'm feeling homemaker-y.