Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Savory Almond Spinach

Because I felt so great after eating nothing but raw foods all last week, I decided to try a couple new raw recipes this week. I'd like to keep that momentum going and keep fresh fruit and veg on my plate.

Today I tried the Savory Almond Spinach from Living Cuisine.

Well, they can't all turn out great, right? This definitely ended up being an RGW (Recipe Gone Wrong).  Though the flavors in this dish are awesome, the consistency ended up being more like baby food than anything else.

Where did it go awry?

I think the fact that the recipe says to "finely chop" the spinach and parsley in a food processor, for one. By the time my food processor got around to rotating all the spinach around for chopping, the contents were really finely diced. I didn't realize I had the cut wrong 'til I assembled the recipe and thought to myself ... that can't be right.

This is where pictures in cookbooks come in handy, by the way. If I had a picture to go from, I may have been able to save this dish. Perhaps I'll try it again and chop the spinach by hand. Until then, I think I'll have better luck spreading this stuff on a piece of bread than going at it with a fork ... er ... straw. :::gulp:::

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Savory Almond Spinach
Makes 2-4 servings
  • 1 bunch spinach
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon flax oil
  • 2 tablespoons nama shoyu
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
  1. Clean the spinach and remove any large stems.
  2. In a food processor, finely chop the spinach and parsley. Mix almond butter, flax oil, nama shoyu, lemon juice, and garlic by hand or in a blender. Pour the almond sauce over the spinach and toss together until well coated. Allow to stand for a few minutes to absorb flavor.
As an aside, I think the almond sauce (without the spinach and parsley) would make a great salad dressing. Yum!

No comments: